Discuss Moving socket on ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shpark

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Moving a socket on a ring 30cm sideways. Depending on how the cables come in, was going to through crimp the t & e, heat shrink over it and put it in some capping/oval conduit, bury in wall and then plaster over.

This sound acceptable?

Cheers

Attachments

• 99F68B99-0BA8-4AA3-BF1B-849F4DFFAC7B.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 30
Not if the cables come down the wall in the plaster. With the socket gone, they will no longer be in a safe zone.
Leave the existing socket in place (or replace it with a 2G blanking plate) and it will be fine.
When ever a customer asks me to move a fitting, I point out that 'moving' a fitting is two jobs - removing the old and fitting the new, but adding a fitting is just one job.

I won't mention the compatibility between the crimps and the cable, and wonder whether the assembly would be accepted as MF to BS5733, as it won't feature in your solution due to the zone issue.

Unless I've misunderstood, once you move the socket some of the cables will no longer be in prescribed (AKA 'safe') zones.
Okay okay. Let’s ignore the safe zone thing because I’ll adhere to this. I’m asking if the way of jointing the ring is acceptable

Okay okay. Let’s ignore the safe zone thing because I’ll adhere to this. I’m asking if the way of jointing the ring is acceptable

Crimps and two layers of (ideally adhesive lined) quality heatshrink are potentially OK. It does rely on proper crimps and an appropriate tool though.

Not sure I would be burying solid conductors, assuming they are solid with crimp connectors again assuming you are going to use those red/blue/yellow types.

Not sure I would be burying solid conductors, assuming they are solid with crimp connectors again assuming you are going to use those red/blue/yellow types.

That's why I stipulated that it relied on the correct crimps and tools being used.

Reply to Moving socket on ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net