Discuss Multiple lights went out at same time. Supply issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bubba0019

DIY
Reaction score
I have had no issues until this week. The lighting in my basement all has gone out. This includes my laundry room, basement game room, and the bathroom. I thought that it was just a blown fuse but no fuses were tripped. I checked switches and bulbs and ruled those out. I still have power in electrical outlets throughout those rooms. I have searched for GFI's but I have not found any that are tripped unless there is one hidden somewhere that I don't know about. I read about using multimeters and I have one but not really any skill in using it. It seems to be a supply issue. I remoted the switch plate covers and switches. All connections looked good. I switched all the breakers on and off. I did hear a mouse in my walls the other night. Maybe zapped? I recently replaced a ceiling fan in my dining room with a traditional light but all has been working fine for over a week. Also the wire to the dining room was the end of the run with only two wires.

Advice is appreciated.

The question is whether all those points are on one circuit? If so, it could still be just a broken connection in the last working point along the circuit rather than any of the dead ones. Of course it could equally be in a hidden junction box but let's hope not.

If it is a supply problem, then all circuits on that leg would be affected and most likely around half of all outlets and lights, and any 240V equipment like A/C would be dead.

I have had no issues until this week. The lighting in my basement all has gone out. This includes my laundry room, basement game room, and the bathroom. I thought that it was just a blown fuse but no fuses were tripped. I checked switches and bulbs and ruled those out. I still have power in electrical outlets throughout those rooms. I have searched for GFI's but I have not found any that are tripped unless there is one hidden somewhere that I don't know about. I read about using multimeters and I have one but not really any skill in using it. It seems to be a supply issue. I remoted the switch plate covers and switches. All connections looked good. I switched all the breakers on and off. I did hear a mouse in my walls the other night. Maybe zapped? I recently replaced a ceiling fan in my dining room with a traditional light but all has been working fine for over a week. Also the wire to the dining room was the end of the run with only two wires.

Advice is appreciated.
Since you are having issues in your laundry room and assuming your dryer is 240vac then you probably need to hire an electrician. You mentioned mice in your walls possibly chewing on wiring and can get in panels. You must have a Edison base fuse box which are outdated and the cover needs to come off to inspect it. Please hire an electrician

Reply to Multiple lights went out at same time. Supply issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net