Discuss Need an opinion on this meter set up. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi chaps, been a while, hope I've not missed much!

Did a preliminary visual check today on an installation so I could quote for a board upgrade.

House is a 1900s semi with a cellar and was re-wired about 20 years ago so all cabling is sound, but it's a bit of a mess of 15th/16th edition equipment. It's TN-S and the head seems to serve the house next door(cable disappears through the party wall).

Odd thing is, as you'll see from the pics below, the neutral to the main isolator seems to bypass the (newish) meter.

20140420_182227_resized.jpg

20140420_182628_resized.jpg

The line and neutral from the head go into the meter (the neutral goes via a block which splits to next-door as well as the isolator) but coming out are only the line to the isolator, and a neutral which feeds a small fuse box which covers the cellar circuits.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to tackle this one?!

Problem for the supplier as they're not providing a decent set of tails from the meter to the isolator (and are also apparently supplying next door with a supply neutral which goes via an insecure, taped up terminal block?!)

Is the E7 still required?, looking at that teli switch, there is no switched load, ie not feeding any storage heating etc. Maybe worth getting the energy supplier to remove E7, and changing to general domestic, and while their at it put in an self connect meter or dp isolator for you.

And what have the DNO said about it?

It's not your problem.

Not asked DNO yet, but will do before I start the work.

Even though it's not really my business, I don't like the idea of feeding the tails to my new board while knowing the run before the isolator looks a bit ropey!

I'll see what the customer thinks about just getting DNO out to remove the old teleswitch and point out the other stuff when they're there. I'd hope that they wouldn't leave without spending two minutes sorting out the neutral, but you never know...

Wtf? Phone the DNO and report their equipment as being in poor condition.
You are in a position of responsibility now as you know it isn't right and have yet to do anything about it.

Reply to Need an opinion on this meter set up. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net