Discuss Need help from an auto electrician in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am currently in the Philippines and with all the Islands locked down it is very difficult to get a good vehicle electrician.
I have a 2009 Nissan Navara D40 and my issue is the headlights dipped beam doesnt work. I haven't owned the truck that long so I dont know the history.
Ok, so the high beam and side lights work fine, also the front fog lights and all the other lights are all good. The front fog light symbol is always on the dash, even when the key is out of the ignition, it stays on. Not sure if this is related but it's a bid odd!
I've tested all fuses and they are all good. I checked to see if I have 12v at the front light but nothing. Today I checked the relay for the low beam, I checked it on the bench and all is good but then I checked the relay connections in the fuse box and this is where i am now confused.
I have a constant 12v at 86 + 30 and that doesnt change with ignition on/off or lights on/off. I have continuity only between 87 and battery negative and the only thing that changes when I turn ignition and lights on is that I get 4.65v at 85.
I am lost and would really appreciate some help guys.
Thanks in advance.

TL;DR
Auto electrician needed for problem on Navara D40
Check the wiring diagram. On my Jag the light feeds are directly from the main control unit/fusebox. Last year I had a problem where the left hand side light was permanently on, and it was caused by water ingress to this control unit.

Replacement part from Jaguar priced at around £700!! Luckily it was under warranty.

As I say, you need to check the wiring diagram though.

Try a replacement relay, looks like it is ok on low current bench test and failing under load.

The trouble is that I have 12v constantly at 86 + 30. This is testing where the relay plugs in with the relay out of the car.
Can anyone confirm that this is definitely incorrect?

This is why it may not be the relay. Where is it fed from according to the wiring diagram?

This may be informative:

https://m.delcity.net/documents/automotive_relay_diagram.jsp

12v +ve at 30 and 86 may well be correct. 85 will probably be grounded through the switch. 87 will go to the lights. Check the resistance of 87 to ground, this should be above zero as it will go through the lamp filaments.

Should help the OP that, nice one.

Just watch though, in the last diagram pin 85 is labelled as accessory, but surely it is the switch line?

Reply to Need help from an auto electrician in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net