Discuss Nest Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LankyWill

I installed my first Nest system today and thought id share my experience.

I installed two, nest third generation room stats, their not cheap at around £200 each. The reason i installed them is for a disabled person, this way they can turn on the heating without clambering into a wheelchair.

The system was a dual zone combi and each zone needs:

Heat Link- fancy way of saying receiver for the new room-stat to communicate with the original wiring, its the white box in the photo with two flexes going in to it.

The Thermostat- This can be placed anywhere but if you use the original room-stat/position this can be used to power the new room-stat but its 12v so it needs to be connected to the relay inside the heat link. Or you can put in anywhere but then you need to use a plug to power it, which looks naff and you then have to purchase a stand and all that.

You could install it fairly quickly with a single zone system but if you have a dual zone system its a ballache as the wiring centre needs heavy modification. There is also very limited and poor wiring diagrams out there which are catered towards single zone systems, the destructions are pretty poor on the wiring side, so a decent working knowledge of heating systems is needed. I just made my own diagram up in my head.If you mess up the wiring and dont properly connect it you can blow the roomstat as its 12v dc.

The previous install was a bit messy and rough so i removed the small junction box and fitted a Time guard Central heating box-which was top notch and will be bought again! i also rewired the boiler as the flex was damaged by the previous monkey.

All in all after the wiring and the tight cramped HOT cupboard side of the job(im 6,2") the rest is really easy. The setup of the wireless network aswell as the online account is simple and intuitive. I will fit them again but will price in a day for the job i reckon.

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0018.jpgIMG_0017.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

Personally I don't like those wire by numbers boxes, they always seem to end up looking a mess whoever wires it.
An RB4 and wagos is much neater and easier in my opinion

On Dave's recommendation from a previous thread a year or so ago I now keep a few J701s on the van for doing heating wiring. These and leaver connectors make the job really quick.

And for that extra neat finish I've taken to using the double sided 'mi I trunking tape' available form screwfix to fix the new wago lever connectors in a nice neat row in the box.

Personally I don't like those wire by numbers boxes, they always seem to end up looking a mess whoever wires it.
An RB4 and wagos is much neater and easier in my opinion

You're better off having something with clamps in it for the flexes though Dave, I use the 'wiring centres' but take out all the idiot proof links.

You're better off having something with clamps in it for the flexes though Dave, I use the 'wiring centres' but take out all the idiot proof links.

there's built in cable tie points in each corner, or else I've got plenty of cable clips to take care of securing the cables (P clips not nail ins)

there's built in cable tie points in each corner, or else I've got plenty of cable clips to take care of securing the cables (P clips not nail ins)

Yeah I'd forgotten about the cable tie points, used many of the grey RB4s over the years fixed on a board in a loft for lighting with all cables neatly clipped and written on.

Yeah I'd forgotten about the cable tie points, used many of the grey RB4s over the years fixed on a board in a loft for lighting with all cables neatly clipped and written on.

With the number of boiler jobs I get in a week I've got in to the habit of following the same basic layout each time for the basic systems. J701 fixed to the wall with flexes entering the two bottom corners tied off to the cable tie points.
Feed, programmer, RF roomstat and boiler in the left corner, valves, cyl stat and pump in the right.

Yeah i like the clamps for this sort of job, but i might try daves techniques for a standard through the wall install. The links are a pain but are quite handy for the permanent lives.

Yeah i like the clamps for this sort of job, but i might try daves techniques for a standard through the wall install. The links are a pain but are quite handy for the permanent lives.

Yeah you generally need at least 2 terminals linked for all the permanent lives, neutrals and earths Will but odd how some of those boxes still come with factory red links, they're a bit behind the times eh ? :)

anyone else had to fit the new valient vmsart? Whoever thought of having to power the receiver with a plug transformer needs shooting. Having to install a new single socket just to power that is plain silly.

Reply to Nest Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net