Discuss Neutral Earth Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Imagine if a water pipe bursts and soaks the wall from the room above or whatever , and the customer is in the house ...

I always test everything prior to changing do know what I'm letting myself in for, depends if it's a brand new install, new build or rewire etc, if it is then I test as I go and everything is fully tested prior to energising.

if it's a board replacement, depends if it's occupied or not so if there's a time limit so to speak as working against the clock I prefere to get it all connected up and energised just so I know I've got power back on, then test it fully, but never just replace without doing tests on all circuits first.

Imagine if a water pipe bursts and soaks the wall from the room above or whatever , and the customer is in the house ...

Yes imagine it, it would make the wall wet, and the RCD would trip and at the same time on the very same but of wall the consumer unit and cutout would get wet...

Seriously, if you change a DB or CU I don't see how testing before the replacement means it's unnecessary again after the work is complete. I'd say this is bad practice and borderline dangerous and unnecessarily reckless, it's certainly not the kinda thing I'd leave unchallenged on a forum with a heavy trainee contingent and I'd suggest even if the UK regs don't specifically require it you should always spend the extra 2 or 3 minutes and test before making live.

Seriously, if you change a DB or CU I don't see how testing before the replacement means it's unnecessary again after the work is complete. I'd say this is bad practice and borderline dangerous and unnecessarily reckless, it's certainly not the kinda thing I'd leave unchallenged on a forum with a heavy trainee contingent and I'd suggest even if the UK regs don't specifically require it you should always spend the extra 2 or 3 minutes and test before making live.

At no point did I say I didn't test it afterwards. I tested before hand, changed it, energised it, he led everything worked, then continued with the testing.

So just to make it clear, I do test all my work thanks.

Why did you notnhave time to carry out any testing before the RCD tripped, then as soon as it tripped you seemed to manage to find the time to do some testing?

Come on, you're an experienced member who knows what this place is like and you stated that you changed a CU because it was a crap 3036 board which was hanging off the wall. Did you seriously expect not to get stick?

If you had changed the board 'after discussing the merits of adding RCD protection as part of the larger job of extensive alterations to the installation' then there would likely be no reaction at all.

i go to switch it on prior to testing like you do. What?????? And I get banned for 2 weeks for making a daft criticism ? Are you reading this Tazzy?

Come on, you're an experienced member who knows what this place is like and you stated that you changed a CU because it was a crap 3036 board which was hanging off the wall. Did you seriously expect not to get stick?

If you had changed the board 'after discussing the merits of adding RCD protection as part of the larger job of extensive alterations to the installation' then there would likely be no reaction at all.

accepted, i suspect everyone has there way of doing things and things they perhaps shouldn't share due to getting stick. I have said the cable is being replaced.

ill keep quiet now.

it's OK. UK. you're amomg friends here:

MUPPET-DOCTOR-WHO-020911.jpg

but did he IR test the rigging? it might be shorted to the mast.

Reply to Neutral Earth Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net