Discuss New breakers or add a sub panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ChrisCee

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
We currently have a 1980's electrical panel that is full and we are updating our kitchen and of course we need more circuits than there are currently as we have the following outlets, all with new wiring.
  • Fridge - dedicated
  • Microwave - Dedicated
  • Dishwasher - Dedicated
  • Kettle - dedicated
  • Toaster - dedicated
  • 4 outlets on one other circuit.

So I need 6 circuits, there are currently 3 double 15amp breakers for the kitchen.

We can't afford a new electrical panel at this time as we've been quoted $4000-$5000.

So we have two options.

Option A
Replace the 3 double breakers with 6 single 15 amp breakers, they are $40 each (so $240)

Option B
Add a new sub-panel for 6 circuits and put a double 40 amp breaker in the old panel and run all new 6 circuits from the sub-panel, this solution would cost about $200)

Option C?
Or is there another solution, that you'd recommend?

Hi all,
We currently have a 1980's electrical panel that is full and we are updating our kitchen and of course we need more circuits than there are currently as we have the following outlets, all with new wiring.
  • Fridge - dedicated
  • Microwave - Dedicated
  • Dishwasher - Dedicated
  • Kettle - dedicated
  • Toaster - dedicated
  • 4 outlets on one other circuit.

So I need 6 circuits, there are currently 3 double 15amp breakers for the kitchen.

We can't afford a new electrical panel at this time as we've been quoted $4000-$5000.

So we have two options.

Option A
Replace the 3 double breakers with 6 single 15 amp breakers, they are $40 each (so $240)

Option B
Add a new sub-panel for 6 circuits and put a double 40 amp breaker in the old panel and run all new 6 circuits from the sub-panel, this solution would cost about $200)

Option C?
Or is there another solution, that you'd recommend?
Chris my recommendation to you would be to add a sub panel to you home just take out the 40 amp double pole breaker and replace it with a 60 amp and get. 12 or 16 circuit. That way you will have spares if you need them in the future

Before you or your licensed electrician do anything talk to the AHJ.

Some panels will take a double lug making a sub panel easy.

If the AHJ red tags the install it’s going to cost a lot more.

Before you or your licensed electrician do anything talk to the AHJ.

Some panels will take a double lug making a sub panel easy.

If the AHJ red tags the install it’s going to cost a lot more.
Carl the AHJ is the inspector and what made you jump in this conversation and there is nothing you can tell me about panels and breakers. He is asking what he should do and I gave him advice. Are you even a licensed electrician?

Okay can we keep this friendly. Everyone is entitled to respond to a thread and if you disagree can you respond in a non confrontational manner.

Carl the AHJ is the inspector and what made you jump in this conversation and there is nothing you can tell me about panels and breakers. He is asking what he should do and I gave him advice. Are you even a licensed electrician?

AHJ inspectors have the final say. Talking to them first makes sense to me.

I’m a retired industrial engineer with an interest in international regulations/codes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask on https://forums.mikeholt.com but don’t be surprised if they won’t answerer.

I’m a retired industrial engineer with an interest in international regulations/codes.
Carl the way it works in the US is a licensed electrician is the one who makes the decision, a permit must be drawn and when your finished with your work then call code enforcement who sends out an inspector to check your work. Carl I’m not a DYI I am a Master Electrician and I’ve literally done hundreds of service upgrades and the knowledge of adding a sub panel

Last edited by a moderator:
$4000 - $5000 for a mains change :anguished: . Is that normal ?
No that’s whey to high I charge $ 2200.00 per service up grade and I pay for the permit with that and still make decent money , I would have to say that that company charges whey to much and taking advantage of the customer. The parts don’t cost more than $ 1200.00.
[automerge]1574273694[/automerge]

Carl I would be more than happy to help you understand the US way of doing electrical

No that’s whey to high I charge $ 2200.00 per service up grade and I pay for the permit with that and still make decent money , I would have to say that that company charges whey to much and taking advantage of the customer. The parts don’t cost more than $ 1200.00.
[automerge]1574273694[/automerge]

Carl I would be more than happy to help you understand the US way of doing electrical

$2200 is still a huge amount of money compared to a UK mains change . How many hours labour do you average on a service upgrade ?

Tell me about it. Canada is extremely high cost to any professionals in.

$2200 CA $ is about £1700, not bad for a day's work.
You won’t make much if you have to dig a trench but the prices you was quoted is absorb
[automerge]1574283608[/automerge]
Tell me about it. Canada is extremely high cost to any professionals in.

$2200 CA $ is about £1700, not bad for a day's work.
Chris do you have a panel outside and one inside your home

Last edited:

Reply to New breakers or add a sub panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net