Discuss New PV Installation only half working and Installer giving the silent treatment.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

solarmad

Hi Guys, I'm new to this site but looked through many posts whilst trying to decide on what type of system to install. Great site I must say.

A couple of weeks ago I had approx 4kW worth of Kyocera panels fitted (two strings of 8) which were connected to SolarEdge Inverter. Power optimisers fitted to each panel. Within days I realised that only 8 (presumably one string) were working.

Two weeks later and no communication from my installer to rectify the problem. I have sent a letter to explain my position but no response.

What do you guys reckon my next move should be?

Much of the installation has been somewhat farcical with two changes of panel manufacturer and I can see the optimisers have only been attached with one bolt rather than two. I'm not at all happy and feel cheated yet how to proceed I'm not sure.

Any comments will be most welcome. Cheers..

Re: New PV Installation only half working and Installer giving the silent treatment..

Hi,

Were you dealing with a 'proper' MCS registered company?

Re: New PV Installation only half working and Installer giving the silent treatment..

Hi Somecamel. Yes, the installer is MCS registered. I checked they were before signing up. I have all completion docs in hand including MCS certificate. I'm thinking of getting my solicitor involved to try and get some movement.

2 possibilities there.
either there is a cable not connected on the roof or there is reverse polarity on that circuit so the inveter won't pick up the supply. reverse polarity is easy for the installer to rectify. a missing connector is more tricky depending on wether the scaffold is still up. If the roofers are working ahead of the sparks I always say to leave the scaffold until testing is finished, just in case.
This should have been picked up on testing. how could they commission the system with one string not working? answer, they couldn't!!
If the scaffold is still up don't let them take it down until the problem is rectified.

Hi Moggy, cheers for your reply, scaffold still up but no sign of the installer to rectify the problem. Will keep your suggestions close to hand. Installing spark said that the system was commsioned and was working as required but as you say it couldn't of been. Optimisers have only been installed using one bolt to rail also so I hope the come and double bolt each of them as I could end of with warranty issues in future. I can only hope the brackets are secured to the roof trusses below my tiled roof properly.....

Wow- sorry too far for me- I'm down in Sussex. Wish you the best and hope their is possibly a more local company that can come and have a look.

Cheers Somecamel. Hopefully I hear something back from Installer tomorrow but i'm not hopeful at all. Then I guess its time to contact MCS, REAL and OFT? I need to find out where I stand legally also? I guess 8 panels better than none and at the end of teh day my FiT application was lodged 10 days ago or so. Thanks again.

With a bit of luck, it will be something simple like reverse polarity that is the issue.

Get on to the MCS and see what they say. We pay them as an assurance to our customers that they will be getting an A1 install - make sure they earn that money.

Don't be afraid to find every site that the company is registered on and leave the poor feedback. We all make mistakes but to ignore your phone calls is pathetic.

Thanks for your comments Biggs. Managed to make contact with Installer late yesterday and I'm assured representatives will be round over the weekend. I'll not be holding my breath. If no action by next week I'll be on to MCS, REAL and anyone else that will listen. I have also asked that the optimisers be secured with two bolts as per the manual as at the moment they are secured by one only. A bit shaby to say the least. We'll see.....

What a diabolical situation.

MCS, REAL and Greg Barker should hang their heads in shame for this mess that they have created.

part of the PV problem IMO is the shady way the gov announced drop in FIT and havent got a replacement ready and the fact that so many people want it they are almost being forced to take it from who is available not nesecarily the best or their chosen contractor as they may have been booked out Places where the bad weather over the past few weeks has stopped instals going ahead ect ect the whole thing has been planned badly orginised badly from day ONE they say people "over subscribed" and that the FIT rates are to much then WHY o WHY wasnt this looked at before the nFIT rates were announced FFS

If the installer cannot resolve your complaint you should refer it to the Certification Body that certificated them. They can then investigate and potentailly withdraw the installer's registration.

As a consumer I have the worry if I report my installer to MCS or REA for the list of non compliances then they will declare my installation as non compliant and revoke the MCS certificate thus making my installation worthless or only attractiing the current FIT.Could this happen?

I suppose anything is possible at the moment although unlikely

Solar edge only needs one string!! Ive installed 100's of these systems
Get my mobile number from my web site
And i will see if i can help you over the phone

Hi there, many thanks for your offer. I was told that I could have one or two strings but there was no difference really so ended up with two. What do you reckon is the best setup? Hopefully the installing sparky will be round to the house tomorrow morning to sort the problem out. I may well give you a shout early next week. Much appreciated.

The optimisers I see have only been attached to the rails with one bolt, you reckon this is ok? The manual indicates that two should be used....?

Thanks to everyone else who has commented. I'll post tomorrow when I hope all will be up and running...

Thanks again

no two bolts !!!

heres a tip

1. PRESS GREEN LED BUTTON UNDER INVERTER (to light up screen)

2. look in bottom left hand corner of screen

SHOULD READ THIS <P_OK_16/16>

IF ALL PANELS & PBS ARE OK

Reply to New PV Installation only half working and Installer giving the silent treatment.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net