Discuss NICEIC Domestic Installer assessement in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive got my NICEIC Domestic Installer assessment coming up soon. Was wondering if anybody had any tips.... is there anything silly i need to watch out for that I can instantly fail on? Will they have a fit if i didn't put a circuit details by the D/B and with safe isolation would the prefer i pulled the main fuse or isolate main switch remove cover and lock off??

Thanks for any help.

make sure you have your regs book, insurance etc and just make sure your installs are to the regs stickers and labeling in place and dont panic they want you to join

Treat it like your driving test, you just have to show you know how to do it, safe isolation etc all necessary test etc, they're reasonable people , if they ask why you did something in a certain way it is usually to encourage conversation about the regs and gauge how much knowledge you have about the regs, suggest other ways you could of done it, don't be scared to ask them questions too, and as said insurance in place,tester calibrated .....and don't touch the suppliers fuse!!!

Hi everyone I am new here.

I am about to get assessed as well and have been told by the NIC EIC that i have to get building control to test and inspect first. Some sparky's have told me this shouldn't be the case. One bloke at building control told me they don't need to come out and another bloke said they do. I am confused. I am fitting a new ccu and and a spur to the ring main.

I am about to get assessed as well and have been told by the NIC EIC that i have to get building control to test and inspect first. Some sparky's have told me this shouldn't be the case. One bloke at building control told me they don't need to come out and another bloke said they do. I am confused. I am fitting a new ccu and and a spur to the ring main.
well...(and i have to say it) i just dont understand why people put up with this nonsense courtesy of the NIC...now, if you had gone with elecsa (as many in here have)....you wouldn`t be finding yourself parting with yet more cash to that other set of thieves.....the LABC!!!
now, i am not condoning any one particular scam above any other...but i would be wanting to know why you cant just notify the assessment after you have been assessed and accepted onto their scheme....
sounds to me like the LABC are just riding it....
and if the NIC show themselves to be unhelpful (unless its access to your cash that is)..or show themselves to be disinterested....well....

What’s a domestic installer?

How can you qualify for a none profession?

Just pay the money and you’re certified to burn houses down.

I’m sorry but the main reason this trade is in the gutter is the lowering of standards. A cleared cheque guarantees acceptance.

If you have gone the proper route and done a apprentiship you will find it easy, all they really care about is getting there cash and making sure your paperwork is in order. You get a couple of testing questions and regs which you should know and you can always use your books, just be calm and don't worry to much and you should fly through it

well...(and i have to say it) i just dont understand why people put up with this nonsense courtesy of the NIC...now, if you had gone with elecsa (as many in here have)....you wouldn`t be finding yourself parting with yet more cash to that other set of thieves.....the LABC!!!
now, i am not condoning any one particular scam above any other...but i would be wanting to know why you cant just notify the assessment after you have been assessed and accepted onto their scheme....
sounds to me like the LABC are just riding it....
and if the NIC show themselves to be unhelpful (unless its access to your cash that is)..or show themselves to be disinterested....well....
Thanks. I think I will give elecsa a call and see what they say. The LABC are just milking it really.

Hi
If the scheme your joining requires you to notify Labc then its ptobably best you do so

If you had done the job & certified within the week of your assesment and then notified under the scheme once you had passed within 30 days of certing the install then you have complied with the requirments under part P adn BS7671 you could do it this way

I like you originally contacted my LABC before joining elecsa
they wanted £190 which seemed a rip off to me
so upon receiving answers and advice from members of the forum decided to just register with elecsa do the job certify it gave customer the original kept a copy for records as required to show the assessor, had assessment passed with a A when i received my log in details notified the job LABC sent building completion cert to customer
Job done and saved them £190
and me a load of unnecessary hassle

as for the assessment make sure all your paperwork is in order
you have all required literature such as BS7671, Part P document, memorandum of guidance on elecy at work regs, osg
and know whats in them and were to find it if asked a specific question if yuo dont know it
also you need a knowledge of all other Building regs which are applicable to your work all can be downloaded from government webpage free
copies of the certifcates you have done for jobs
£2 million PLI insurance
calibrated test equipment which is in order and fully working and know how to use it to carry out all required tests
Make sure the job you are showing him is up to the regs and as for lables make sure all required labels and identification present including circuit details label or a copy of the schedule of inspection or your EIC
as for safe isolation dont be pulling the fuse ( by that I take it you mean the main fuse which by law you shouldnt be pulling as it belongs to supplier /DNO) think he wouldnt like you doing that especially why he is there lol
switch of main switch off Prove dead using a GS38 approved voltage indicator checking first its working on known supply or suitable proving unit test for dead betwen L-N, L-E & N-E check voltage indicator working at time of test again on known supply or suitable proving unit
lock of post warning sign
carry out the tests he asks you to in a safe competent manner

and hopefully you will pass with a A, no none conformancies if there are any you will get a B and be shown what they are and asked to rectify by taking before and after pics of the item concerned then you will be accepted onto the scheme, then jobs done for a year

Good luck

Hi,

Ive got my NICEIC Domestic Installer assessment coming up soon. Was wondering if anybody had any tips.... is there anything silly i need to watch out for that I can instantly fail on? Will they have a fit if i didn't put a circuit details by the D/B and with safe isolation would the prefer i pulled the main fuse or isolate main switch remove cover and lock off??

Thanks for any help.
if you dont know this...then your not ready to be carrying out any work on electrical installations.

next.

Paperwork!! I made sure my CU change was absolutely by the book in every single way... but he didn't pass me the first time because I didn't have a complaints procedure in place or a monthly checklist for my MFT. This was with Stroma, I expect it boils down to what each scheme is looking for, and perhaps even every inspector.

They are desperate to pass you as they want your money, I only know a few sparks/domestic installers who have gone through the process but they have all passed.

Please dont think just because you pass it you are fit to work in peoples houses. Its taken me some time after completing the DI course(ie gaining experience alongside a proper electrician) before I felt confident undertaking certain jobs in domestic situations. I still wouldn't consider something like a complete re-wire for a few more years. Even though you are legally able to do so you have to check your conscience and really think if you are capable of each job.

Good luck to you.

I spoke to the other guys this morning, elecsa. They said that they do not involve LABC because they will notify them once they have signed off the job. That's a much easier way of doing things and saves £250 so I think I will take the elecsa route. :)

Every spark should know about safe isolation, if they don't, well LOL don't bother getting an inspection, not sure about the merit of a Domestic Installer in my day we covered everything during our 5 year apprentiships, I know things have changed but safe isolation is a must, even for a muppet.

Thanks for useful feedback. I'd missed off my complaints procedure so ill be getting one of those in place. I know how to do safe isolation I had to demonstrate how to do it in my 2391 exam. I think Im just stressing over it because I don't want to be having a second visit for something silly.... like not having a complaints procedure!

Hi Breaker,

im new here, just come across your post and I have exactly the same question that you asked a year ago, just wanted to know if you had to go through building control or not and how the assessment went ?

Reply to NICEIC Domestic Installer assessement in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net