Discuss No power to my shower. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marko

Hi Guys newbie here looking for advice.
I have a Mira sport shower some years old but been working ok.
Last year the pull switch broke so replaced with new one and everthing was good.

This morning however I have no noen light coming on at the pull switch,the fuse for the shower in the RCD hasn't switched off,the pull cord works ok in terms off on and off but like I say no light is visible,the shower won't work at all.

I have inspected the pull cord unit and the internal wiring inside the shower unit and can't find anything untoward.

few questions, If there was a fault with the actual shower or the pull cord unit should the fuse have tripped out?

Can the fuse be removed and inspected for fault?if so how do you test it ?

Many Thanks ,marko

Best thing to do is check for voltage at the shower unit, if you don't know how to do this then it would be prudent to get an electrician in to do this for you, if you go straight to the shower and check then this will tell you that everything is ok to the shower and maybe the shower at fault

If there was a fault with the actual shower or the pull cord unit should the fuse have tripped out?

That would depend on the type of fault that has occurred,so it may not necessarily trip or blow a fuse

If the switch was faulty causing an open circuit,nothing would happen and this could very well be the case

Thanks guys,I may change the pull cord unit then see if that works,failing that I have a multimeter somewhere,whats the procedure for checking voltage to the shower unit?I have a sparky mate who would fix it for me but he's away at the moment so if it's something straightforward i'd like to tackle it myself,without self harming obviously!

Hi and welcome Marko

Can only advise mate that bathrooms, which can be damp wet places are the last place I woulds advise someone that does seem a little naive when it comes to electricity, to delve about a live 230v switch to see if you have power with a multimeter probe

I really would wait for that mate to come back

Hi and welcome Marko

Can only advise mate that bathrooms, which can be damp wet places are the last place I woulds advise someone that does seem a little naive when it comes to electricity, to delve about a live 230v switch to see if you have power with a multimeter probe

I really would wait for that mate to come back

Probably not what you want to hear Marko, but I have to agree with the above. We do keep going on about how dangerous electricity can be and this is for our protection as well as yours. We wouldn't want to give you some advice and you end up hurting yourself by following it. (I dont think im going to get a Thanks for this one...)

heartily seconded. for the sake of a few days, just get the lynx out.

Thanks guys I appreciate your advise,I will wait for my sparky mate to come back.
Just thought there may have been a quick check I could of done safely like.
More concerened why the fuse never tripped more than anything.

the thing is, marko, with electrics, things can be deceptive. you think that if the neon isn't lit, then there's no power there. this could be due to a faulty neon or the loss of the neutral. either way, the live might well stiull be there and it will BITE.

Just wondering,If I was to purchase another shower are the cut outs inside the same regarding the water feed?Mine at present is bottom left and wire connections top left.

Just wondering,If I was to purchase another shower are the cut outs inside the same regarding the water feed?Mine at present is bottom left and wire connections top left.

If you are changing like for like make sure their has been no modifications to the inlet water and elctrics of the new Mira (Expensive aswell)

Triton do a guide re the showers they sell and show you the inlets etc have alook !

Installer Guide

Not many have the water on the left, nice and expensive them Mira showers. Also agree with everyone else about waiting for your mate. May just be a faulty element but probably the pull switch, or even a faulty MCB, try switching MCB of and on some older ones trip but still look on.

Could well be a badly connected neutral ( see this often) in the switch causing a burnt out neutral wire. Be careful though, this is potentially dangerous as the live is sitting there waiting for you.

theres always this....
but it wont be the leccy that kills ya...
V-veloco-shower.JPG

Attachments

• cover.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 94
Some severe warnings coming out here and rightly so,So what some of you are saying is I could still end up brown bread if I was to change my pull switch my self after i have turned the fuse board off obviously?
I changed this last year to no ill efects,my sparky mates not released for a nother 3 months so long wait for a shower!

Some severe warnings coming out here and rightly so,So what some of you are saying is I could still end up brown bread if I was to hange my pull switch my self after i have turned the fuse board off obviously?QUOTE]

My eyes must be going. I haven't seen anyone state this. What the majority of us we are saying is that we feel that you should get someone in that knows what they are looking for and has the correct tools for the job... an electrician. If you want to change things yourself then we cant stop you. We are here only to give advice. What you do with our advise is up to you. This sounds so negative, but I mean it in a good way. Be very careful if you want to go round checking things with the mains switched on.

Attachments

• Head Stone.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 80

Reply to No power to my shower. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net