Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Non fire-rated downlights in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've got a customer who wants me to put in these down-lights.

B&Q Tilting Mains Voltage Halogen Downlights Pack Of 5 7397 White Painted, 7397

He's bought them already. I have 2 questions. How can B&Q get away with selling non-fire rated downlights, without marking them up as such. And secondly how can I fit them and comply (will a fire hood do the trick?)

They are going in the top floor of a house with loft space above.

Thanks in advance

I think a fire hood should do it to comply with part f as for b and q all they want is money and they won't stop tell the customer fire hoods ain't cheap about £10 each then watch there face drop so much for the cheap lights

here are some spaces where they are not required...

Bathrooms, bedrooms and other spaces with only the roofspace (loft) above them.

electricians who are concerned that UK building regulations require the use of fire hoods in many locations... just to be on the safe side.
Sadly, for the person who pays the bill, fire hoods are often not required because the ceilings into which they are being fitted are not fire rated ceilings! Cut your hole. If it has a double layer of plasterboard it's either a fire rated "compartment" or it's there to reduce noise. Fit a fire hood or fire rated downlight.

Also consider these points...

If its a 3 storey house (especially with only one flight of stairs) - use fire hoods or fire rated downlights.

If you live in a conversion i.e. a larger Victorian or Edwardian house that been converted into flats - use a fire hood or fire rated downlight if there is a separate dwelling above your accommodation and hope, if you have neighbours below, that they use fire hoods or fire rated downlights too.
all the best craig PS I hate B&Q as well they will get some one killed one day

I second the advice given by craig . I notice their literature states they are also suitable for Bathrooms Zone 3--------Behind the times a bit there then .

i fit IP65 / fire rated in bathroom and standard Fire rated in rooms with occupied areas above them!!

all others i fit IP20 Lights with the loft insulation moved away or kept off the light!

I second the advice given by craig . I notice their literature states they are also suitable for Bathrooms Zone 3--------Behind the times a bit there then .

Went to fit a light this morning, customer supplied from Wickes. Had a little chuckle to myself when it shown zone 3 on the diagram on the box.

Probably got shed loads of gear sat in warehouses waiting to be sent to the stores. Just shows how much tat these places must have in stock, either that or it take a long time to get shipped from china:D

ESC check out the articles on down lighters issue 15 and issue 17 of the ESC switched on magazine you can view it on there web site

i fit IP65 / fire rated in bathroom and standard Fire rated in rooms with occupied areas above them!!

all others i fit IP20 Lights with the loft insulation moved away or kept off the light!

Heres my take on it ---others may well differ
-In a standard residential 2-storey family home very rarely are the ceilings in the living areas provided with more than 30 min fire rating clasification . it has been shown that downlights installed in such ceilings do not compromise the 30 min fire resistance criteria , therefore their is no requirement in the building regs to install fire rated downlights in these circumstances. it is extremely hard to limit the spread of fire with an open staircase.
A Garage with a bedroom above would require 60min rating and therefore fire rated fittings..as too would a ceiling below a loft conversion etc.----multi-storey & bedsits etc are a different matter
Having said that ,if its your own personal preference is to fit fire rated lights in particular locations then thats fine particularly as the cost of them has reduced a lot lately----one drawback is they require aluminium reflector lamps and would overheat if dichroics where subsequently fitted.

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread, but can anywhere confirm whether I require fire hoods in a suspended ceiling (shop) with a concrete ceiling above with flats above the shop. Obviously I am not touching the integrity of the concrete ceiling.
Thanks in advance.

With a concrete ceiling above there little risk of fire spreading up. I would be fitting fire rated anyway as the wholesaler don't stock non. There are slim fittings available if space is tight above robus rats are OK think aurora do one as well

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread, but can anywhere confirm whether I require fire hoods in a suspended ceiling (shop) with a concrete ceiling above with flats above the shop. Obviously I am not touching the integrity of the concrete ceiling.
Thanks in advance.
Do you not have any common sense? And who the hell fits new halogen down-lights these days???

It is LED downlights.
Its what the customer wants .
OK, LED, good, but why would you need fire hoods if there is a concrete ceiling above them??? On a serious note, if there is any concern or uncertainty, just ring the local BCO, they will put you right.

Last edited:
OK, LED, good, but why would you need fire hoods if there is a concrete ceiling above them??? On a serious note, if there is any concern or uncertainty, just ring the local BCO, they will put you right.
I was just doubting myself really and pretty much new the answer, I was just wondering what the thoughts on here were that's all. I had this site open at the time and just thought I'd ask.

Reply to Non fire-rated downlights in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net