Discuss Not good DECC figures in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Really can not quantify what is happening ...or is not happening. Last year when is was almost double the price there wasn't enough hours in the day, this year it's half the price with same if not better return it's not selling.

I recon put the prices back up to 12k for 16 panels...people obviously think its too cheap!

It would be nice to know % of Free solar of that weekly figure, I know someone on a previous thread said 70%. Which I can believe !

It appears so lightgen, foolish !! We're not selling spuds at Tesco's, can't see anyone having much of a sustainable business with the price quoted. Customers buy from us because we have been trading for over 10 years and plan to continue too!

Its a business not a pop-up shop ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fincy.I understand what you say we where selling 4kW at 13.5k last year but the market seems to have changed. Customers where demanding German panels etc. last year but now it seems to be all about price. Poly panels don't seem to be a problem - different customer different market?

I did speak to a distributor the other day and he sugested that a number of installers (down south) where quite happy to complete the job and get £500 profit ! I guess they won't be around for the warranty?

fincy, we are not a 'pop up shop' either just trying to keep workers employed and compete with the market. Tesco (i understand) are offering a 4kW system for 6500 ish, get real.

It's not the customers demanding price it's US, under pricing each other 4000+ installers chasing 70% of the 1000 installed last week (not free Solar).

Their is a minimum safe installation cost, jo public parting with anything over £1000 wants services/quality.

Ktech we're on the same side ! Business is tough country wide...I just don't want to see what's left of the promising industry implode !!

I know what you mean. it's pritty crap out there at the moment. And from this weeks numbers not getting better. Somthing still tells me that if you stick with it them not so soon it may turn around?

It's intersting that you can offer a 15% return and even in this climate don't get takers! I had the usual City Link driver around today and he said it was very quiet (even after a bank holiday). People are not spending at the moment it would seem.

Sadly in order to survive generally in business you need to diversify.

However the good news is ... Gregs off promoting green businesses in Texas, not sure about the commute ......a bit out of touch comes to mind (AGAIN)!

Really can not quantify what is happening ...or is not happening. Last year when is was almost double the price there wasn't enough hours in the day, this year it's half the price with same if not better return it's not selling.

I think it is a mixture of four things:

i) the pre-Dec dash, and the pre-April mini dashes will have pretty much resulted in anyone considering solar either having gone ahead or made a conscious decision not to bother. It will take time for demand to build again
ii) the EPC rating has reduced the potential customer base
iii) the mass media coverage concentrated on the FIT being halved (time to recover the initial outlay being doubled, return on investment being halved etc.). There hasn't been similar coverage on the falling prices so many will still think in terms of 18-20 years before the FIT can cover the initial outlay etc.
iv) the sudden dramatic drop in prices could seem to many either to mean that the solar industry was significantly over charging before (which doesn't encourage trust in the industry), or the current prices are just not sustainable (which doesn't encourage faith that the company will still be around when you get your first FIT cheque)

This horrible (normal nasty party) Tories do not have to be in bed with the Murdochs any more, because they have been in bed with the big 6 Energy Companies for the past year. You place your vote you gets your choice, please learn everyone, the Conservatives are for the Rich and Powerful not the likes of us. Rant over.

I have just read that the USA are going to spend $1b on a Ghost town so they can try out new technologies, from automated traffic lights, self flushing toilets, cars that drive themselves etc etc, Maybe Barking will come back with some good ideas, well surly he must have one in his career that is lawful....

Hi mdovey, the EPC as far as i'm concened is a complete paperwork game. Let's consider it: 4kw south facing puts 1 band on a south facing roof. We are just completing a 11kw install on a barn and it has absolutely no reason at all. Complete waste of time.

The sudden dramatic drop in prices, from our point of view, would be from reduced material cost and not employing dedicated sales 'people' and subcontractors.
The whole strategy of a business that provides a quality service with longevity has been lost due to the very bad handling of this whole system, in my view.

Reply to Not good DECC figures in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net