Discuss Not sure what downlight type this is? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

paddythd

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new and desperately seeking advice on some integrated downlights. The connector has made it seemingly impossible for me to buy some replacements.

It is a Luxna integrated luminare style, so the whole thing has to be replaced when failed. It's warm white, 240v, 10w and IP65 (the ones that are gone are not in bathroom, so that is not important).

IMG_0309.jpgIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpg

What on earth do I buy?! Please and thank you.... :)

Bonus points if the replacement can actually just have a replaceable GU10 and not this faff. Brand and the current unit is not important. (I've checked, nobody sells it anyway.)

TL;DR
What downlight will replace these? (Check connector/cable)
probably has a GU10. is there a lamp retaining ring under the bezel. and measure the hole diameter in the ceiling. then we can advise on a replacement if it's not a replaceable bulb.

Well there’s a coincidence.
I’ve been asked to look at downlights in a bathroom... 2 out of 5 have gone out. Also Luxna, also 10W, but cool white.

my local yesss stock luxna, but the newer versions are only 6W. Could be a lux difference.
my job could be a wiring fault rather than the fittings... don’t know yet.
If it is the fittings, then I’ll try eBay first.

probably has a GU10. is there a lamp retaining ring under the bezel. and measure the hole diameter in the ceiling. then we can advise on a replacement if it's not a replaceable bulb.

Hi
As stated in the post this is unfortunately an all in one unit, no GU10. Non replaceable LED built in :(
[automerge]1592308597[/automerge]
Well there’s a coincidence.
I’ve been asked to look at downlights in a bathroom... 2 out of 5 have gone out. Also Luxna, also 10W, but cool white.

my local yesss stock luxna, but the newer versions are only 6W. Could be a lux difference.
my job could be a wiring fault rather than the fittings... don’t know yet.
If it is the fittings, then I’ll try eBay first.
Please do let me know how you get on. I think yesss are the only sellers now, but I don’t believe I have one locally.

Don't worry about the electrical fittings these can be easily replaced. They look like older version of these.

Greenbrook 20A 4-Way Lighting Connector - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/greenbrook-20a-4-way-lighting-connector/176gv

Just need to make sure you get replacement downlights with same hole diameter and appropriate fire rating for your celling.

Recommend you have somebody competent (i.e. electrician) fit replacement downlights for you, if you're not competent yourself with electrics.

Seen on eBay for £50!!!!!

Why not cut the lead and connector off the old lights and wire into the new ones. Simples.

As said above, what size hole have you got in the ceiling?

Attachments

• Luxna-Downlight-LED-Downlight-10W-instructions-(AC).pdf
    442.8 KB · Views: 8
I use a lot of these. Never had any fail yet.

They require a 75mm hole. Tool free termonals.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lucec...d-led-downlight-white-600lm-6w-220-240v/6092t

I use a lot of these. Never had any fail yet.

They require a 75mm hole. Tool free termonals.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lucec...d-led-downlight-white-600lm-6w-220-240v/6092t

I fitted some of those recently (within the last 4 weeks) which were supplied by the customer, out of 28 lights one has failed already. Which makes them pretty rubbish in my opinion, but then for £13 each you have to expect failures!

I fitted some of those recently (within the last 4 weeks) which were supplied by the customer, out of 28 lights one has failed already. Which makes them pretty rubbish in my opinion, but then for £13 each you have to expect failures!

I generally fit the neutral (4000k) white model, don't know if that makes any difference, never had any fail in the last 2 1/2 years.

A little update.
My local yesss are getting the ones I need, hopefully under warranty. (Bad batch)

reading the op again, you’re asking about the connector? That is just a standard 3 pin plug and socket, which can be taken off and fitted to a new fitting easy enough. Doesn’t come with the fitting, just added On instead of a little joint box.

A little update.
My local yesss are getting the ones I need, hopefully under warranty. (Bad batch)

reading the op again, you’re asking about the connector? That is just a standard 3 pin plug and socket, which can be taken off and fitted to a new fitting easy enough. Doesn’t come with the fitting, just added On instead of a little joint box.

Ok, I see. So the wire would need snipping and rewiring into a more conventional connector? The whole house has these in, so that's a lot of work. I suppose this will have to be a large investment to get them all switched over. Thanks to those connectors, I really can't see any way to use other downlights..

These are conventional connectors.

some fittings come with just a trailing flex with bare ends for the installer to either connect into a joint box, or the plug as is here.
Other fittings come with no flex, and the house wiring is connected directly into the fitting.

the plug and socket type are good, as you can fit the plug on the floor, then pop up a ladder, plug it in, and job’s a good ‘in.

the other ones can be fiddly if you’re up a ladder, trying to hold the fitting with one hand, push the cables in with the other AND keep yourself steady.

the plugs are easily removed... 2 little screws on the bottom and the cover comes off.
The cover also acts as cable restraint.

The terminals are marked L, E, N so straight forward.

Update
I've got my replacements from Yesss.... Assures me that they will be under warranty, but we will see. 3 years and 1 month since they were fitted by another electrician. (They better be under warranty.... £30 each plus VAT)
I had 2 out of 5 fail in an ensuite bathroom. The day i went to pick up the 2 replacements, a third one had failed... so thats another on order.

The new ones are basically the same fitting.... 10W, built in lamp, same lux, trailing flex with plug and socket fitted... but the driver is now in a separate housing.
States 5 year guarantee on the box, so hopefully the old ones were the same.

The newer model is basically the same number but suffixed with a 2...
ie LXFRD10CW2 instead of LXFRD10CW

There will be replacements for the OP's, try LXFRD10WW2

save all the grief. fit JCC V50s. easy fit with push in terminals. colour temp warm or cool white, dimmable. 70mm hole. around £15 a throw.

If you want to save quite a bit of money AND have replaceable GU10 LED lamps [which are readily available in warm or cool white] I'd go for Ansell 'Edge' fittings. They're fire rated, you connect the mains wiring straight into well designed push fit terminals and they cost about £4-5 !

Reply to Not sure what downlight type this is? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net