Discuss Office & Flat supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rattlehead85

Looking for some thoughts and opinions on this situation.
Looked at a burn out gutted old post office with an above flat needing to be fully rewired with extensive building repairs. The ground floor will be reused as a general office when it reopens.
The D.L.O. head is situated in the post office and is designated to serve both properties. This is a new TN-S 100A single fused head replaced last week. Now i will need to replace the mains to the flat above and also run a supply to a new board in the ground floor shop.
I have suggested running 25mm tails from the head to a henley block and from here splitting into (2x) 60A switched fuses next to the cut-out and labelling both. Would placing them both next to the cut-out be acceptable or would positioning the switch fuse for the upstairs flat be required upstairs next to the meter? If so running 25mm swa through an adaptable box to terminate before sleeving and connecting directly to the henley downstairs be ok?
TBH i cant understand why the D.L.O haven't provided a twin fused cut-out seeing as the supply cable appears to be plenty big enough. They were told the head would need to serve both premises and they said that is what i have to work with!

You can't split the tails straight from the head otherwise you won't be paying for the electric in the post office, they'll have to be split after the meter

Do they need separate metering and are they run by two separate businesses. If both off one single phase supply then if the co fuse blows and no acces to it how do upstairs get supply back on? Most DNO will not loop second supply (unless small landlords supply) off single phase co's. if no separate metering required you can split tails after meter and design supplies accordingly. Or you use private metering.
FYI DNO will only install what they are paid to install. It is not their job to assess what you need.

This is the problem i'm faced with. I would assume the flat and shop below will belong to different entities therefore they would require separate meters. The theory behind the switch fuses would be to a least reduce the possibility of the main 100a fuse in the head going in the event of a fault in either premises. At least the 60a in the s/f would go first. This is why i was questioning the position of the s/f for the flat. I would have thought upstairs next to their meter but was open to other peoples views on it and see what they thought was the best option. I aint gettin' any change outa the supply company. 100a single phase head and that is it!!

I didn't think the dno would do that, I think you may have one meter then split it after that for your separate cu's,then you can add pre payment meters to each. Is the cutout in a commonly used area of the flat and office?

Don’t believe they would miss out on two standing charges off one supply. I’d recheck with them. It really isn’t you’re problem.

Well indirectly it is my problem because this needs supply wiring and material which if i buy and then wasn't required is gonna make me look very unprofessional at best. Tricky one this. No worries with the electrical side of it. It is more making sure i've gone down the right track positioning equipment coz once the supply swa is in and boxed there aint no going back!

I didn't think the dno would do that, I think you may have one meter then split it after that for your separate cu's,then you can add pre payment meters to each. Is the cutout in a commonly used area of the flat and office?

Cut-out located in the post office below in the middle of the building. The fuseboard for the flat above will be located upstairs directly above the cut-out. Supply to the flat will be 25mm2 swa run up a boxed riser.

Reply to Office & Flat supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net