Discuss OLCI Training course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wism79

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I am wanting to do my 2330 Level 3 and 2356 NVQ3, however I am only able to do it part time ( evening classes ) as I am working full time so unable to do 1 day per week.

I have enquired with OLCI training centre as I dont know what other colleges in London offer the above courses in the evening.

OLCI is home study course and then 5 practical sessions whihc are 2 to 3 days per session.

Has anyone done training through OLCI and if so what your comments are about them or could someone advise me whether it would be a good option or not or whether you could recommend a college?

I know it will be tough studying from home but i seem to have no other choice really.

thanks

Hi wism79

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see that you have been considering training with OLCI, and that you have a few queries.

OLCI run the new electrical qualification 'City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment', which upon successful completion makes you a fully qualified electrician. The course includes all practical training at your local training centre, and theory that you complete at home (in your own time). The emphasis is on the practical training, and to make sure you are fully prepared we recommend you complete relevant theory material at home prior to attending. There are several practical training sessions, each run over a set of days, so you just book each one as and when you are ready and when it suits you. Most of the practical training sessions are run over weekdays, but some are also run over weekends.

Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this further, or if you would like to visit our centres to have a look.

You can reach me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes, Alana Fox

Hi wism79, I've done the level 3 electrician course with these guys. I've nearly finished and it's been good training. I think as long as you put in the work in you'll get the results plus the tutors have been really helpful and knowledgable.

did the electrical l2 and l3 with olci. id recommend them because my experience was the total opposite of yours nisar. hope youve got it sorted mate.

Hello Everyone,
I am new in this forum, and I would love to get advice from someone here.
I've started a OLCI course, and now I am a bit confused about all qualifications and how it all works, because I am from Lithuania, I don’t know how it all works in England...
can someone help me please, I have these questions:
1. to become a fully qualified electrician you need just C&G 2357 level 3 to complete or in addition to that you need a 3-4 years of apprenteship?
2. Does anyone in here finished OLCI become a fully qualified electrician, how was that? Did they gave you all support; did they provide you with full onsite experience?
3. After finishing with OLCI training can you find a proper job as an electrician? OLCI salesman said to me that OLCI will help me with job? How they going to help me (get me in to interviews or just give me advise how to do CV and so on)?

very poor I thought after my 3-day BEC1 practice... I need to read a contract I signed with them, I hope I can cancel it after deposit and first instalment... :(

Hi digreez,

I can see that you have some questions about the course you have recently started. I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you.

Please give us a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox.

where you working now then nigel?

most of my work has moved me down south ollie, a guy needed an electrician pretty much full yime. he builds/rents out flats. that takes up most of my time luckily!

digreez - id speak to them about your worries, not sure one persons experience is reason to cancel your course! as i said in my other comment my experience was a really good one.

I would say my experience is a bit hit and miss. The trainers in London are really good, If you are coming here then get on a course with Rory (he will make sure you leave knowing what you should).

The paperwork that they sent me has loads of typos and is what seems pretty much completely separate from the training days, its all over the place and is not very clear what you have to do, for example I have completed my level 3 recently and am now doing the update 17th edition exam. I assumed I was signed onto 2382-20 and opened up the course material and saw questions about comparing the 16th edition to the 17th.. Ive never even looked at the 16th edition book so how am I meant to know? I can also say that the arm chair tutor does not get publicised enough and when it was I didnt get responses untill I told the receptionist about this, then I get a call within 2hours. One of the ladys did not even know I was meant to do an 2382-12 and had my call not get disconnected I would not have found out!
Armchair tutor was helpful but he told me to buy the 2382-12 book if i can and use that. I wouldve thought that it would be included with how much im paying.

But it is not all bad and I really do not blame the staff that are there, you can see they do what they can. Definitely the company letting the staff and customers down. But its not all bad, Im almost done and it feels good to get those certificates coming through the post. Now to find a job (by myself, OLCI do not help with getting a job, they just send a few links and some opportunities up north from time to time)

couldnt help but notice your post mate. does the work placement not fall with you at the end of the day? you have to put the work in to get somewhere esp in these tough times. ive been a spark for 3 years now and as much as it would have been nice to be given a work placement, even back then it wasnt handed to me on a plate. have you tried to get anywhere yourself?

Hi. I recently started the 2357 with olci and am interested in the difference between working as an electricians mate and working on an apprenticeship. We all know that jobs of these types are thin on the ground, but I'm curious about which would be better. I've read some negative comments on this forum about electricians mate jobs ie they're inferior to long apprenticeships and they take jobs away from qualified/time served electricians. What do you guys think?

Hi Mudal,

I would like to speak to you about your concerns. Please give me a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Reply to OLCI Training course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net