Discuss Old WLYEX fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CEF and B&Q sell them about £10+ each with base.

Yes the base is required as the pins are ever so slightly different on the mcbs

used to carry vast amounts of these wylex mcbs as was a quicken cheap way to offer a board upgrade without a board upgrade ?

Had a similar situation a number of years ago, my mother in laws house had a small amount of rewiring done back in the 80's but the rest of the house was the original wiring with some extensions / alterations, she was worried about how safe it was but didn't want the mess and upheaval of a rewire so I tested the installation which while some parts were close to the limits it was ok for continued use I then updated the CU using a mix of RCBO's and MCB's & RCD's which much improved the safety for the next 2 - 3 years until she passed away. The house was completely rewired a few years ago and rented out

I think people are getting a bit extreme here.

All he wants to do is replace the rewireables to make the old boys life easier.
He’s not going to ok a rewire or RCBO board change at his age, this is the next best thing and leaves the situation no safer than it was before, but ALOT easier for the end user.

Get the correct bases and breakers, and happy days in my opinion.

I think people are getting a bit extreme here.

All he wants to do is replace the rewireables to make the old boys life easier.
He’s not going to ok a rewire or RCBO board change at his age, this is the next best thing and leaves the situation no safer than it was before, but ALOT easier for the end user.

Get the correct bases and breakers, and happy days in my opinion.
Fully agree, but the question was will Wylex breakers fit without their correct bases, and unfortunately, the answer is, no, they won't.

Fully agree, but the question was will Wylex breakers fit without their correct bases, and unfortunately, the answer is, no, they won't.
Well technically they ought to be able to, remove the shroud/shield and it removes the 'keying' so anything should fit anywhere, thr obvious downside is you're likely to create instant C1s and not leaving the installation safer than you found it ?

And my early post regarding buying these things new or sourcing them second hand….. you can’t tell how efficient they will be…. Might never trip under fault.

My main rationale for questioning this is that the breakers are likely to require more human interaction than the existing fuses.

My main rationale for questioning this is that the breakers are likely to require more human interaction than the existing fuses.
My experience is they only trip when something else goes 'bang'.

In the case of stuff on a 13A socket then it is true they don't have the near-total selectivity that the 30A rewirable fuse has hence a major applience fault will take out the plug's 13A fuse and trip the MCB. However, it was almost always the 5A light circuits going when some filament lamp blows, but that seems much less of an issue with LED replacements.

Short of a board change which we all agree is the best solution in a perfect world, I would always change for a set of new/known good plug-in breakers because:
  • Most folk struggle to change fuse wire if it does go, and as above that is often in darkness as it was the lights,
  • There is a high risk they put in whatever wire is at hand, possible thicker so it "stops blowing" :(

The problem with minor upgrades is it tends to prolong the life of the installation

Beyond what it should be
True, but some judgment is also needed.

If this were a rental property or a home folk are just moving in to then it should be brought right up to date with a new board and very likely a rewire as there won't be enough sockets and or them in useful places (as probably installation dates from 70s or earlier) and/or there will be other EICR issues of properly investigated.

However, the OP's situation was how to help out some old codger[*] who has been there for many years but has only a few to go, and very likely lacks the resources or stamina for the disruption of a rewire. In that sort of case the plug-in breakers are a fast way to avoid the risky situation of no lights for days until help is available to rewire a fuse.

* Apologies to any old codgers on here, I'm heading that way myself and at an accelerating pace...

All sorted thanks for you help got new ones from Screwfix in the end

PXL_20210719_150845926.jpg

All the comments that have been posted are correct about changing etc and I am a qualified electrician however all I wanted to know was if the bases needed changing the rest is irrelevant.
That's no problem

Just saying looking at that board with the instantaneous electric shower on an MCB i wouldn't be happy

Reply to Old WLYEX fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net