Discuss On small jobs charging for cable in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
I was just wondering how every charges for cable on a small job? Let me give you and example, you are asked to replace 4 down lights, but one 1 of them you fined that the cable is to short so you replace that cable back to the next downlight, Normally i would just charge for sundries £20 but the customer refused to pay the sundries charge as " i only use a couple of meters of cable, and he shouldnt have to pay that" and it got me thinking does anyone charge per meter of cable ?

Maybe you should put it in the quote. "If cable needs replacing then a charge of £? per meter" or something like that.
Don't try and rip them off by charging £20 for 2 meters of cable....

if it was just a couple of yards, i'd not charge as usually have offcuts on the van. anything over 10 ft. i charge with sundries. XXp/m

The sundries was to cover, cable , few jbs among few other odd bits i had used off the van, otherwise yes i agree £20 for 2 meters of cable bit excessive.

You said the job was to replace 4 down lights??? Strange that you needed a few junction boxes as well as additional cable for this.
Anyhow... again, I'd just put something in the quote for future jobs.

If your customer is that pedantic, I wouldn't work for him again.

You had to use a new piece of cable for whatever reason... too short, or damaged... it all needs paid for. Your joint boxes, green sleeving… use of your stepladders, fuel and van upkeep...

I just list "additional materials" on my invoice and pluck a number out the sky

If that same customer bought a basket of shopping in a supermarket they wouldn't get some of the items for free, why should they get free cable.

I personally would never charge for 2 mtr of lighting cable . Have loads of off cuts for such jobs and just throw in without even thinking about it...

Anything over 4mm sq I will charge by the yard

I don't list materials by item on my quotes/invoices. I don't normally break it down into materials and labour either.

The price is the price. Take or leave. If I needed a couple of metres of T&E I'd just throw it in. I don't like making my prices that tight that I'd need to charge extra for something so small!

Surely you quoted for such a small job and not estimated? Quote gets accepted then that is what you charge unless the customer adds extras or changes something.

Depends on the size of the jobs... if it's one or two screws, I tend to not charge but for bigger jobs I'll add a line to the invoice 'Consumables' and make a reasonable estimate of the cost of all the parts I've used.

Cable... charged by the meter with all lengths used being slightly over estimated. I certainly wouldn't charge £20 for 2m of cable.

Reply to On small jobs charging for cable in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock