Discuss Open ends on ring circuit help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could be as simple as a poor connection / loose terminal screw (someone forgot to tighten it) , or as trickery as a nail trough the cpc

As above, most likely is a couple of wires in one screw terminal and one escaped when being tightened up (or screw loose).

Less good is someone did not bother to connect the CPC (earth) together at all, as that implies very poor workmanship.

Problem here is that £400 could be a rip off or an absolute bargain. Could be a single loose wire in the first socket they look at or a couple of days chasing down a hidden damaged cable, replacing it and making good.
Might be better to pay by the hour.

Was on eicr c2 ... Was qoute 400 for. How easy/hard Is to find that problem as it was mention it can cost more depends if it's hard to locate.. the second issue was found already

Normally within a couple of hours you can pin it down to two points or the cable between them.
If it's just connections at one of these points, it can then be a quick fix.
If it's the cable between them it can get a lot more involved depending on how the cable is run, floor boards might need to come up, plaster disturbed etc.
If it can't be found/fixed there is a last resort option of down-rating the circuit breaker and turning the ring into two radials.

Was on eicr c2 ... Was qoute 400 for. How easy/hard Is to find that problem as it was mention it can cost more depends if it's hard to locate.. the second issue was found already
its a how long is a piece of string unfortunately, i have come against a few and all cpc are in place in the accessories and used a wandering lead from the earth rail to every accessory and there is an earth path but no ring continuity of cpc. Probably in a junction box under a floor the break. no ring cpc is my worst job tbf

Reply to Open ends on ring circuit help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net