Discuss Opinions please...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've been asked to quote for a rewire of a old Victorian house which is fine. The walls are lath and plaster so I don't know what to do for the best regarding the sockets.

When I have done this before I have removed a section of laths where the socket is going , put a wood noggin in and put a plasterboard patch in to make sure it's all secure and flat.

I have searched the forum and people have said they carefully cut out a socket box and install a faster fix box. I've got a multi tool cutter to do this but what I'm unsure about is how sturdy are the sockets if done this way.

I've always done it the other way which requires a lot of mess and making good

So just after opinions because I'd hate to get called back after the place is decorated because the sockets have fallen out of the walls

Last edited:
what i do is find the vertical timbers and cut the box in there with a multitool, notching the timber, then fixing metal back boxes to the timber. that way, thewre's no stress on the lath and plaster.

Hi dude, A lot will depend on the condition of what i presume,are separating walls,or fill ins. The lats having been fixed horizontally between possibly 3" x 2" vertical studs.

Tels' method is the best of standard fixing arrangements,but depending on back-box depth,can result in excessive notching in the small section studs,and can still leave the un-supported ends of the horizontal lats,around it.

The original method for small apertures in such a wall construction,would have been to "build-in" a stud box,in the same size studding,and lat to it.

This is obviously not what can be achieved retrospectively,without considerable work.

You cannot just cut a hole,in such a wall,without supporting the surrounding area. You may notice,that lots of folk,elder ones in particular,place their opposite hand,on the wall next to an outlet,as they withdraw the plug-top with the other.

It is this,which will find the weak spots!

I have worked a fair bit,with older construction techniques,and a more measured approach is needed,to have any longevity.

Modern materials,lend themselves to being joined or bonded,with a host of OTHER modern products,this does not always work,when,for example,you have the mix of items in such a wall.

Just gobbing a load of Drywall adhesive,to what may be dry larch,lime-plaster,horse-hair etc,will not form "a bond".

I know speed will be a factor,and i can already hear someone shaking the foam-gun....but you are not dealing with a simple,modern board type structure,and need to price the additional work,accordingly. Good luck :icon12:

find a joist and screw one side to that, put a bit of timber behind the lath on the otherside and screw it in. (do sockets back to back with noggin in between, when sockets are tightened up it will strengthen it further

the problem is that no matter how yo do it, as PEG said, you can't reinstate the strength of the lath and plaster that you have cut, unless you go to the trouble of fixing noggins and re-fixing the lath to them.

Reply to Opinions please...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net