Discuss Outside light complaint in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rappid

-
Reaction score
Customer asked me to install some lights down their side access to the garden, it's pitch black as there is no street lighting nearby.
They have chosen some half lantern types with low energy flourscent type bulbs.
I installed it last week and now one of the neighbours are complaining about the light as they do not have any curtains.
There is a parking area seperating my clients fence to the house where this guy lives and the lights on the wall are above the fence line, does the neighbour have a valid complaint?

Is it worth annoying the neighbours on a matter of principle? Could your customer also argue that light from the neighbours' house is shining on their property, or would it save a lot of trouble to change the lights for something which shines downwards on your customer's side of the fence, eg LED downlighter or eyelid fitting?

I'm not sure what a half lantern light looks like but maybe you could cover one side as Murdoch suggested or maybe even use paint that's the same colour as the light fitting.

I'm not sure what a half lantern light looks like but maybe you could cover one side as Murdoch suggested or maybe even use paint that's the same colour as the light fitting.

GLFIN874.JPG One of these.

the neighbours are complaining about the light as they do not have any curtains.

I honestly can't see how the neighbours have anything to complan about!! Why would they not have a blind of some sort, or cutains up at a window?? I don't see why your customer has to cover the cost of changing these light fitting you have installed, for fittings that directs light only downwards....

IMHO Your customer chose the light fittings and you put them up as instructed. It's up to them. If they want you to change them you could give them a quote for installation in the same way as any other contractor would. I would not suggest a 'solution' as it may not be satisfactory for either the client or the neighbour, and I would not want to be going back time and time again to make adjustments. I wouldn't get involved with the dispute at all. There could be a long standing feud between them for all you know.

petty jealousy. neighbour should buy curtains. let them complain to the council, then if they don't get laughed at, there may be a case for modifying the lighting.

exactly what i said, its between the customer and the neihbour its not your problem rappid
IMHO Your customer chose the light fittings and you put them up as instructed. It's up to them. If they want you to change them you could give them a quote for installation in the same way as any other contractor would. I would not suggest a 'solution' as it may not be satisfactory for either the client or the neighbour, and I would not want to be going back time and time again to make adjustments. I wouldn't get involved with the dispute at all. There could be a long standing feud between them for all you know.

Reply to Outside light complaint in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net