Discuss Oven & Hob Connections in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aidan

Hi,
I'm a builder fitting a new kitchen for myself and need a little advise please.

I am putting in all the back boxes and cables in the wall to save a little money but unsure on the cooker side of things.

I have put 6mm T&E cable to cooker switch above worktops (which will come directly from the consumer unit), then 6mm T&E cable coming out below worktops.

The plan was to take the 6mm T&E cable which is below the worktop to a double socket, in which the single electric oven and 5 ring gas hob will plug into. This double socket will be accessible via a cut out in the back of cupboard next to oven.

Hope this makes sense, and if it does, will this meet building regs?

all depends on the rating of the appliances. i would install a 6mm from the isolator to the point under the worktop, then let your electrician decide on the best method . ( you are going to employ a spark to inspect, 2nd fix, then test and certify the work, i hope).

Surely if you're a builder you would know if it complied with BUILDING REGS.
And I agree with Telectrix for the electrical side.

"you are going to employ a spark to inspect, 2nd fix, then test and certify the work, i hope"
The last thing he would want to do is pay an electrician and get it done properly.

you are going to employ a spark to inspect, 2nd fix, then test and certify the work, i hope

Yes, I am.

I'm not an electrician, so how would I know this?

The last thing he would want to do is pay an electrician and get it done properly.
Why is that then?

you are going to employ a spark to inspect, 2nd fix, then test and certify the work, i hope

Yes, I am.

I'm not an electrician, so how would I know this?

Why is that then?

Call us suspicious but loads of us get done over by dodgy builders who have no respect for the building regs and think they are goods of all construction inc electrics ...... not that Im saying this is you BUT 2 yeas ago you had a thread about changing careers to be a sparky!!

2 yeas ago you had a thread about changing careers to be a sparky!!

The plot thickens
icon13.png

I did make other comment,but as this is posted in the Diy section I have edited the post
I will only suggest asking the engaged spark for the advise required on this occasion

Not sure how you have been "done over by dodgy builders" but I'm not one!

The fact that I wanted to change career has NOTHING to do with my question!

What is the point of this forum if not to help people?

I hope their aren't any electricians on this forum asking for help in ANY way, if their are, they shouldn't be calling themselves one and/or charging for their services.

Might i suggest an automated response for any questions asked on this forum,

PAY AN ELECTRICIAN!!

(I'm sure micknew will be in favour of this, reading his recent comment.)

I would like to thank telectrix for your comment, i will do what you suggested and let the sparky decide what to do with it. I just hope he is better at his job than the last electrician i worked on the same job with, when I accidentally touched a live wire (which i had been told was isolated just before the idiot had gone home for the day) while plastering a wall.

where are you based.?

Reply to Oven & Hob Connections in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net