Discuss Overheating halogen lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a lamp that takes a halogen bulb and it gets so hot that it starts melting the plastic wiring harness near the bulb. I've tried lower watts and it still does it. What can I do to fix this? Also does anyone know what this extra little piece is with the two white wires going into it? Got a close up in the photo. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_001818952_MP.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 16434489886076277275461381304666.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 13
Is that melted clamp an original part? Reducing the wattage isn't going to make a huge difference as those lamps get extremely hot, I can only assume that floating part is some kind of thermal cut-out.

I suspect that's been modified. No way is a plastic p-clip going to survive the heat. Looks like the metal clamp was the original method.

Is it earthed?

Last edited:
Looks like a metal fitting. It’s not safe with those white wires floating about with uninsulated crimps.

You might be able to get an LED lamp that fits.
We have similar in the UK.

Is that melted clamp an original part? Reducing the wattage isn't going to make a huge difference as those lamps get extremely hot, I can only assume that floating part is some kind of thermal cut-out.
That melted clamp was there when I got the lamp, second hand, so maybe someone else modified it. The thermal cut-out makes sense as it also sometimes turns itself off and on again at intervals.

Reactions: DPG
I suspect that's been modified. No way is a plastic p-clip going to survive the heat. Looks like the metal clamp was the original method.

Is it earthed?
No, it's not grounded. I'll try replacing the plastic clip with a metal one, thanks!

I doubt the thermal cut-out is original. I assume this is a standard uplighter.

Reply to Overheating halogen lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net