Discuss Pancake , fancake , duplex , nail on , rough in in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well there's 17 mins of my life I'm not going to be getting back.

Interesting to see Arc Fault Breakers appear more common over there, and a quick search suggests not so pricey. I've yet to actually see an AFDD here.

Interesting to see Arc Fault Breakers appear more common over there, and a quick search suggests not so pricey. I've yet to actually see an AFDD here.
They basically came about in the U.S. as their installation and testing regimes are so poor that they're needed. Do a search on here from a few years back and you'll find the old guard of Tony and Eng slagging them off relentlessly.

I believe they used to suffer a lot with arcing faults because the plug tops they use and extension cords are extremely flimsy and prone to fraying and snapping

Also poorly connected Wire nuts also contributed to a lot of badly burned out cables joints and fires in back boxes

With apologies to the U.S. members on here.... in my experience of working in the States their standards leave a lot to be desired.

With apologies to the U.S. members on here.... in my experience of working in the States their standards leave a lot to be desired.

ultimately it will be exactly the same here or anywhere , you will have good installation electricians & rubbish electricians with shonky standarea.
if the code in the U.S is followed to the letter their istallions will be perfectly adequate.
they have some interesting codes of practice , like how many cables you can put in a box to how many clips you have to use etc

ultimately it will be exactly the same here or anywhere , you will have good installation electricians & rubbish electricians with shonky standarea.
if the code in the U.S is followed to the letter their istallions will be perfectly adequate.
they have some interesting codes of practice , like how many cables you can put in a box to how many clips you have to use etc
The problem is more subtle than that. They don't have 'one code', they have several different ones that will vary State by State, even county by county. Generally speaking they don't test anywhere near to the levels that we do (aka the 'bang test' - if doesn't go bang when turned on it's OK). And more-so than that....... house construction is different and much much younger than ours. As I often tease my American friends and colleagues - my house is older than your country!

Their philosophy is if you build / install something to code then it doesn’t require testing. Which is an interesting practice.
they dint have millions of house fires and homeown blowing themselves up each month so the method works ok to a point...:)

i question some of their methods like twisting sold cores to make joints etc but they have recently discovered Wagos so the fire nut is slowly falling out of favour

they dint have millions of house fires and homeown blowing themselves up each month so the method works ok to a point...:)
It is, I'll concede, curious that the stats for electrical fires for both nations are roughly the same - around 7-8% caused by electrical distribution faults

We could probably all learn a bit from each other’s installation practices , I quite like their big deep boxes , thin walled conduit / metal flex conduit and massive fuse boards ...

Another need for AFDDs in america is the extensive use of aluminium cable in houses, not easy to make a sound joint on small aluminium cables.

Reply to Pancake , fancake , duplex , nail on , rough in in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net