Discuss Part P follow up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening.
Was asked to carry out a test (non registered kitchen fitter installed circuits) so could only offer EICR on those circuits although what they really wanted was an install and Part P.
EICR would fail anyway so am walking away from that one, but do you know if anyone follows it up as a non registered installer has altered circuits in a kitchen?
In this situation there is no way it could be signed off with a Part P notification and I'm sure this is not the only one.
Costs me quite bit to keep registered in my A/C scheme each year and earn the right to sign off my own work so is anything ever followed up in situations like this?

Absolutely nothing can be done as it’s the home owners responsibility to ensure building regulations are followed

the same way you can’t disconnect a supply no matter how poor the electrical installation condition is

I’ve had this before, where by the original installers of an extension apparently ran away before issuing any certification.

I told them I could only offer an EICR, which the council were happy enough to accept to sign it off.

You don’t need to notify an alteration to a circuit in a kitchen.

why walk away? Do the EICR and code accordingly.
what would it fail on?
It seems the client requires a PP certificate.
It also seems that originally, there were circuits installed. Therefore, a Part P should have been provided. If it's satisfactory, contact the council, as above...but it's not.
Are they after selling the house?
It's not an unknown situation but it seems a pretty fair amount of work is needed to attain the required standards. It's whether they are willing to pay. Judging off the previous history, that may be doubtful.
More back handers, probably.
I'd stay clear...

Well he has added a socket and a spur from the existing ring in the kitchen so I thought this should be notifiable? Also he has put a socket on a cooker outlet that is not RCD protected and the cooker isolator cannot be screwed back and is hanging out the wall so would fail an EICR.
As its only a new kitchen that has been fitted it doesn't need anything to be signed off by the council like an extension when they actually inspect it, and yes I agree the council will accept an EICR but seems like a waste of time and money with the Part p if an EICR is sufficient.

You do realise Kitchens are not a special location under Part Pee as they do not contain a bath or a shower

the kitchen fitters / builders are within their rights to modify the existing wiring as to complete the job of installing a new kitchen

Adding a socket and a spur to a circuit is not notifiable so does not fall into the boundary of part P
altering the cooker circuit to add a socket is not notifiable so does not fall into the boundary of part P.

you Do not have to be registered to carry out non notifyable works therefore part P does not come into this instance.

even if he moves house and can’t produce the certificates the solicitor will just put in an indemnity insurance and it just goes through anyway
Cost roughly £30 to £60 and bobs your uncle the problem of the ‘missing‘ certificate goes away

Adding a socket and a spur to a circuit is not notifiable so does not fall into the boundary of part P
altering the cooker circuit to add a socket is not notifiable so does not fall into the boundary of part P.

you Do not have to be registered to carry out non notifyable works therefore part P does not come into this instance.
Correct.... now we know a few facts. Basically, my 'mistake' involved a little presumption, following the OP stating that a 'non registered kitchen fitter installed circuits'.
Don't normally presume and do criticize it.
I'll accept a whack round the earhole!

Reply to Part P follow up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net