Discuss part p initial inspection in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is my fist post here, so a big hello to one and all and thanks in advance for any response.

Ive been a spark improver for about 14 years after getting my C&G pt's 1 and 2 but never got round to doing my NVQ 3 purely because i was happy working temporarily for agencies, travelling around in my van and taking extended holidays (well its easy when your young and someone has to). Anyhow fast forward 6 years and now a bit worried about future prospects i have decided to get my 17th and part p.

According to niceic to register as a part p person they initially inspect two jobs (one major and one minor), for the major job i was considering changing my sisters old fuse board for a modern consumer unit; the problem is thou that the wiring and circuitry is old and may not be up to spec. If i fit this consumer unit and then the niceic come have a look, will they also test each circuit (insulation resistance earth loop impedance ect)? (im assuming they will). If any of the circuits fail to come up to spec will it fail, even though i have not touched the circuitry just changed the old fuse board for modern rcb's (thus making it safer). If it does fail will my sis by obliged by law to get the problems sorted and up to spec (I.e rewire and lots of money).

Also, while im here might as well ask. If i get my part p, will i be able to log my own jobs into an NVQ 3 portfolio (its usually the case when completing an NVQ portfolio that each log needs to be signed by a competent person ie a jib spark, aka your employer). If im signing off my own work in someones house via part P, then surely im deemed competent enough to sign off (at least some of) my logs for NVQ 3 portfolio.

It makes no sense that to become recognised as a competent electrician by the JIB you need to have at least an NVQ 3, but to get a part p and rewire someones house you dont. However this bug is getting sorted soon as from April 2013 you need an NVQ 3 to register for part p.

Anyhow thanks for any answers

If i fit this consumer unit and then the niceic come have a look, will they also test each circuit (insulation resistance earth loop impedance ect)? (im assuming they will). If any of the circuits fail to come up to spec will it fail, even though i have not touched the circuitry just changed the old fuse board for modern rcb's (thus making it safer). If it does fail will my sis by obliged by law to get the problems sorted and up to spec (I.e rewire and lots of money).

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know about the other questions, but as regards your proposed board change, go and test the circuits for IR, borrowed neutrals, Ze, Zs, etc before committing yourself to the job. You can then decide whether to do the board change and whether any remedial work is required to the final circuits in advance. It's a good idea to do some limited testing before any board change to eliminate nasty surprises and a panic to sort it out at the end of the job.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know about the other questions, but as regards your proposed board change, go and test the circuits for IR, borrowed neutrals, Ze, Zs, etc before committing yourself to the job. You can then decide whether to do the board change and whether any remedial work is required to the final circuits in advance. It's a good idea to do some limited testing before any board change to eliminate nasty surprises and a panic to sort it out at the end of the job.

Thanks thats good advice, problem is i dont have a meter as yet

please dont change a consumer unit and not do all the test and provide a certificate for the inspector to see, this is YOUR inspection and you must show you know what you are doing, regardless of the money you pay for the inspection they will FAIL you !

This must be a wind up !![/QUOTE

So if a customer asked you to change over an old wire fuse board for an consumer unit (without rcd) and a few preliminary tests shows that things are not exactly up to spec (few borrowed neutrals maybe because wiring is old) then you wouldn't do the job unless you sorted the problems as well. Bear in mind that the customer has not enough wedge to rewire, only enough for new consumer unit and (safer) mcb's. Is that a wind up? I think not

This must be a wind up !![/QUOTE

So if a customer asked you to change over an old wire fuse board for an consumer unit (without rcd) and a few preliminary tests shows that things are not exactly up to spec (few borrowed neutrals maybe because wiring is old) then you wouldn't do the job unless you sorted the problems as well. Bear in mind that the customer has not enough wedge to rewire, only enough for new consumer unit and (safer) mcb's. Is that a wind up? I think not

Hi customer. I would test your consumer unit properly but i dont have a meter as yet !

When you have your NIC EIC Assesment you will be expected to take the guy to 2 separate jobs you have done and provide the test results for the work you carried out , he will then get you to go back over and retest in front of him so remember safe isolation etc...., Whatever 2 jobs you take them too need to meet current regs or you will fail and have to book a second visit at an additional cost.

You are going to need a MFT meter or separates within current calibration cert.
Just do your homework and make sure you know what they expect from you on the day.

You don't need nvq if you have a 17th edition qualification to be a domestic installer. But make sure you test everything when doing a cu change. You sign the cert to say your work is safe and as all circuits come from the cu they become your responsibility and are liable. I had minute inspection today for the third time and the inspector just asked me to do ze, prospective fault, zs and rcd and explain to him how to do continuity of cpc and insulation as its quite time consuming.

Also make sure you have correct paperwork, approved document p, self calibration test sheets, customer complaint log, regs book and osg and there's another document which the name escapes me at the minute which can be downloaded for free. Also make sure customers are aware that faults may be encountered when testing which will have to be paid for as extra, (i've never been on a job where there hasn't been a bodge) if they don't agree then tell them you can't continue, it's a pain if you don't get the work but at least you are covered.

Hi Haptism, in addition to the above, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you carried out a relevant risk assessment for the job, do you have a working knowledge of which types of job are notifiable to LBC? Plus, do you have insurance to carry out work on other peoples properties? they will want to see that too. You need to be able to demonstrate that you can deliver the whole package, not just the testing etc......

Hi I to have got an inspection soon but been ill for awhile but registered two jobs but looking for someone to give me a review on job just to refresh my mind is any one available in sthelens to do that I will pay for time it's just to recap

Hi
I have a DI assessment coming up soon and am unsure what will happen. They probably give all the relevant info in this welcome pack thing but I'm too lazy to read it.
Although I've been installing for a while now I have no test gear or any idea how to use one as I was absent from the Electrical Trainee course on the morning testing was covered.
I thought I'd come on here and insult all you guys by asking what to expect when I could just read the welcome info but as I say I'm too lazy. Any info gratefully received, I may even read it but maybe I'll post my phone number up so one of you can ring me and talk me through it all. Maybe I'll stay awake through the whole conversation.

Reply to part p initial inspection in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net