Discuss Passing 17th Edition Regulations Exam (2382-12) Without course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening All,

I am looking to pass the Regs course 2382-12 as quickly as possible. Having looked at the course avalability and price in my area I am thinking of simply going to sit the exam without the four day course.

I came through my aprenticeship in the 17th edition and have been working in the industry for 5 years so the regs arent new to me. I require the cert as I am going to sign up on NICEIC part p scheme.

Any advice as to any resources to revise from besides the regs book itself?.

Cheers

If like me you qualified to the 17th then youll breeze it mate so wouldnt stress yourself out over it.
Take your on site guide down the pub with you and have a quick flick threw

I took the exam only, its a good cheap route. If you studied under and have a good working knowledge of the regs, then you won't need the course.
You just need to be familiar with the layout/sections of the book. Most of the questions you will know the answer before you have looked it up.

One of the lads was on the other night about his daughter, he gave her an overview of the regs then a simulated exam which she passed with flying colours.

To someone trained to 17th and familiar with it it'll be a breeze

Personally i found a few days with a very good tutor and a couple of like minded electricians talking about regs far more beneficial than actually passing the exam.

Yep,that's a fair point,at work it's every man for himself and at rest you may be sat with your mates who are a musician,a gardener and a barrister,so at least in the scenario you mention,secrets and help are shared...the lady's have us beat here fellas,get 4 together from different areas/jobs/cultures,and in 30 minutes they know 75% of all they need to know about each other...respect due:gorgeous:

My college let me do exam only and last half day of one of their 4 day courses. Think they charged ÂŁ50. The last half day was good as it mainly included tips on how to navigate the book, things that still help today. Don't know how (if at all) this affected my mark, but it made me feel a bit more confident and finish the exam early

Personally i found a few days with a very good tutor and a couple of like minded electricians talking about regs far more beneficial than actually passing the exam.

Totally agree with this, especially if you mostly work alone, 'out of the loop' - it's an opportunity to discuss those areas of the regs that often appear ambiguous/confusing/downright wrong etc

The exam itself is pretty pointless, we already know how to use an index!!

Did my exam without a course. If you can read and turn the pages of a book you will pass. Don't highlight, label the pages or put notes in your book tho. Some exam centres won't let you use a marked book.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I can see where your coming from with regard to it being a good opprtunity for getting together and talking to other sparks. However for a self employed man it aint half an expensice chin wag.

Im going to give the exam a bash soon.

Thanks Again

If you can't pass this exam, give electrics and become a Kitchen fitter they know it all, not

Did my exam without a course. If you can read and turn the pages of a book you will pass.

The two African nationals who did the exam at the same time as me didn't, even though they were cheating and helping each other out while the so called invigilator was doing an impression of Stevie Wonder after fifteen pints.

do you not have a JIB gold card. if you completed an apprenticeship to NVQ 3 apply for your gold card and they automatically put 17th edition wiring regulations with your qualifications on the back anyway. i have come across a fair few people that didnt know this. will save you ÂŁ400

Reply to Passing 17th Edition Regulations Exam (2382-12) Without course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net