Discuss PAT testing as a bit extra whilst training? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

0121minty08

Hi everybody,

ive been reading up on the forum for a while and there seems to be very mixed feelings about PAT testing.
i am currently training for the 2365 level 2 two evenings a week, I'm loving the course even though its wrecking my head a little bit. I am thinking about doing the PAT testing course and maybe doing little jobs here and there throughout my training.

I am not trying to do it full time because I have a full time job already, and I know from what you guys have been posting it is very hard to earn a living solely on PAT testing (and I mean proper testing not just labelling items for 50p)

Can I do the course or do I need to have my level 2 or any other qualification first? Any help appreciated.

Cheers guys, Steve.

its all down to you I dont like pat but I have recently tooled up for it and its now become a valuable addition to my business but i wont be doing it full time . Remember PAT is going through a big change HSE has signalled that business can change their approach to pat so times will get tougher

No entry requirements needed, but an understanding on basic electrical principles, basic and fault protection and being good with numbers will help.

The courses won't teach you any more than a good read through the IEE Code of Practice I'm afraid. However, the certificates are good for showing to customers (and for your assessment with any of the registering bodies, NIC etc). For me, the main thing you need to understand is exactly what the tests are doing and why you're doing them - now that's a lot harder to find out!! Anyway, for someone just starting to learn all this stuff it's worth doing as long as you balance the equipment a training costs with how much work you expect to get.

cheers,

Steve

No money in PAT anymore ! We charge £1 per item tested recently had an enquiry about testing 600+ items so gave them a price of 0.75p per item thought the job was in the bag then gets the phone all saying there getting it done for 0.15p per item and if we can't beat that they will go with it.

No money in PAT anymore ! We charge £1 per item tested recently had an enquiry about testing 600+ items so gave them a price of 0.75p per item thought the job was in the bag then gets the phone all saying there getting it done for 0.15p per item and if we can't beat that they will go with it.

600 items for £90.00..............either somebody is at it (where you priced for) and thinks they are funny, smart, stylish, the centre of the party and so very very clever ......or the previous individual that gave them that price is a dimwit .....15 pence....whats next......"if you pay us we will let you pat test our stuff".......doing pat testing for customers like that would be more embarassing and degrading than getting a pat down at the airport in front of everyone...

I think what's happened is that they have decided to buy a roll of green stickers and put them on everything themselves, and the roll of 600 is priced at £90.00 ....but if you will do it for free and take a hit on the cost of most of the stickers (as well as providing a safety document) then they think "more the fool you" and "haha haha ha ha haha"

it looks like they have the attitude that "it's just a roll of stickers and that's all I'm paying for"....or they will just not get it done and if pulled up will just say it was too expensive at the time when they went for prices and that they will get it done soon....

Grant thats why there was a review by Prof Loftstead thing you need to understand hoe these clowns work they will not come out and say well Part P is a joke PAT testing has become a con EICRs are going the same way as PAT testing nope instead they get someone to say we need a revue for this and then they spin a story about forward thinking and fine tuning

0.15p an item, ouch they're desperate to PAT.

I'd happily charge £15 an item not to get the job.

grant...or they'll just smash stickers on each appliance with a visual, and be done with the job in half a day. If the appliance doesn't work, then "it must of gone faulty after we'd tested it" happens all the time and everywhere. Literally everyones at the PAT game now, stay well clear IMO no-money to be made in it, not that they really ever was.

I was at the Seaward Seminar and picked up on that to stay in PAT companies had to offer better services as Duty holders can now change the test periods in other words some will go to the wall

Unbelievable !!! How can a business sustain themselves at this rate per test, now I don't know about you but if you are doing your job "properly" as a pat tester, the number of items tested per hour is around 20 per hour, so they are operating on a basis of £3.00 per hour (less than minimum wage), so something doesn't add up !! mmmmmm.

Aye, about 20 an hour is the standard - providing everything has been set out and accessible for you.

But nobody does PAT properly, hense the stupid prices theses days. They can charge the stupid prices though, i for one stay well away unless its the occassional bits and bobs for regular clients.

PAT is floored. Rotten to the core.

Aye, about 20 an hour is the standard - providing everything has been set out and accessible for you.

But nobody does PAT properly, hense the stupid prices theses days. They can charge the stupid prices though, i for one stay well away unless its the occassional bits and bobs for regular clients.

PAT is floored. Rotten to the core.

I base my work rate at 10 items per hour when my boss asks how long it'll take me, which is (IMO) being generous really when I'm hunting round making sure I haven't missed anything (holiday park, so hundreds of toasters, kettles, tvs etc) . Still by me doing it it saves the company 70p +vat per item that they were paying a contractor before who used to send in a few guys for a couple of days to cover everything. It just takes me a couple of weeks instead. Which is pretty soul destroying when just stuck on that.

Reply to PAT testing as a bit extra whilst training? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net