Discuss Periodic on a 5 Bed house with a swimming pool in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

So I've been asked to do a periodic on a 5 bed house which is no problem but it has a pool which I haven't ever done before, now the guy that owns the house is going to be renting it out and he says that the tenants will NOT be allowed to use the pool at all.
Can I agree a limitation with this guy and leave the pool house off the periodic? The whole pool building is supplied by its own feed.

Many thanks

When writing up the EICR there is adequate space to describe the scope and limitations of the inspection you are doing so just make sure its clearly descibed and that the owner understands it. I'd make sure this was also confirmed by your estimate/response from the client before you start too.

Sounds very strange to me, the worst thing you can do with a swimming pool is leave it unattended/un-used. That includes having the pool drained and covered. He'll come back a year or two later to find everything corroded to buggery, seals perished, motor/pump barings flats and god knows what else!! A very foolish thing to do, ...I hope he's worth a few bob, as it'll be an expensive operation if he doesn't do a through ''moth-balling'' job to the system....

Sounds very strange to me, the worst thing you can do with a swimming pool is leave it unattended/un-used. That includes having the pool drained and covered. He'll come back a year or two later to find everything corroded to buggery, seals perished, motor/pump barings flats and god knows what else!! A very foolish thing to do, ...I hope he's worth a few bob, as it'll be an expensive operation if he doesn't do a through ''moth-balling'' job to the system....

My mate does the maintenance on his pool and will continue to do so whilst the tennants are in, this is how I came to get the job. This guy certainly does have a few bob, this house is is second home, he lives in France and stays here a few days a month when he's working in England.

Last edited:

Hahaha...just goes to show that I don't have my own private pool!

My mate does the maintenance on his pool and will continue to do so whilst the tennants are in, this is how I came to get the job. This guy certainly does have a few bob, this house is is second home, he lives in France and stays here a few days a month when he's working in England.

If the pool is being maintained during the let, why on earth can't the tenants use the pool?? Get's even stranger!! Mind you, if it's an open air pool i doubt very much they will be using it for a good few months and even then, it'll be too chilly for most ...lol!!!

Well he won't be able to stay there while it's being let!! lol!! The old funds must be dwindling off a bit then, if he's needing to rent the place out....:tongue3:

Not allowing the tenants to use the pool may be because of a legal/insurance issue or that the owner wanted more money if they wanted to use the pool?

If the pool is going to be maintained, don't you need power to it? Just for safety sake I would include it in your EICR and not omit it via the limitations, sods law that someone gets a shock. Whichever way you go cover your backside in writing.

If the pool is being maintained during the let, why on earth can't the tenants use the pool?? Get's even stranger!! Mind you, if it's an open air pool i doubt very much they will be using it for a good few months and even then, it'll be too chilly for most ...lol!!!

Absolutely no idea, its an indoor pool too.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was something to do with health and safety, like to let the tenants use the pool he would have to supply a lifeguard or something stupid like that :)

Absolutely no idea, its an indoor pool too.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was something to do with health and safety, like to let the tenants use the pool he would have to supply a lifeguard or something stupid like that :)

Your probably right ...lol!! Forgot all about the H&S brigade crap you lot have to put up with back home!!!

Mind you, even an indoor pool in the UK would need a heap of heating power, to get it anywhere near a bearable swimming temperature.... We just let the sun warm up our pools in Cyprus, sometimes even have to let some water out and replace with cold water. ..lol!!!

Reply to Periodic on a 5 Bed house with a swimming pool in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net