• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Permanent/Unswitched live colour in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which colour do you use for the permanent/unswitched live?

• Brown

Votes: 127 72.2%
  • Black

Votes: 49 27.8%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
*Emergency Lighting*

I know this has already been discussed recently on a similar thread but I just thought that it might be a good idea to create a poll and see what the general consensus is.

I personally use black as the permanent live and brown as the switched but I recently had a debate with someone who said that the brown should always be permanent like with domestic where the sleeved wire is the switched wire. I completely understand the logic in this but I've always used the black as the perm.

Last edited:
Depends on the existing install.

If new, brown for permanent live for me, only as I was taught that way. As ipf says though, as long as everything is actually sleeved!

I would go with brown as PL but neither is wrong by the book so long as black is sleeved. Splitting hairs really but if I went to an existing install and had to start from nothing my money would be on the brown being PL. Wouldn't lose any sleep over it either way

I used to do brown for perm, black for switched.

Then I had connect 100’s of pre flexed Klik roses that are the other way round! So I changed over to there colours,
On the same job we had to install loads of danlers sensors which are different again!

Now I don’t know what I am doing

I was taught to use black as permanent live/keyed live/eme live.
The reason was on 3 pin lighting rock roses, the connections were LNE (brown,blue,green/yellow), so brown is switched live in the 3 core flex for a non-emergency fitting.

A 4pin rock rose (used on EME fittings) the connections would be LNE and AUX or L2, this would be used for the permanent live and would be connected to the black core of the rock flex/plug and brown would be switched (same as brown being switched on a non eme fitting)

Black = permanent live (IMO)

Always black as permenant live, always have.

Only time ive had a issue was second fixing a corridor with about 30 lighta down it, i did 15 one way and the other lad did 15 the other way, our own fault for lack of communication. Re did all mine after losing a rock paper scissors. Could have just crossed over halfway but wanted to keep it consistant for future sparks.

Brown for permanent live.
Brown for switched live.
Black for key-switched live.

If you use black for the normal switched live then you end up swapping black to brown when you wire the normal lights with a 2 core and earth after the emergency fittings.

Brown for permanent live.
Brown for switched live.
Black for key-switched live.

If you use black for the normal switched live then you end up swapping black to brown when you wire the normal lights with a 2 core and earth after the emergency fittings.
that'sthe reason i started using black for perm.L.

Reply to Permanent/Unswitched live colour in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back