Discuss Permitted electrical work if unqualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

ma701ss

Hi I'm managing a small bathroom refurb for a client. All that remains is to re-fit the light above the mirror and shaving socket. These cables were left live by the builder with the ends taped up, ready for the electrician to wire up the fittings but he can't get back for another week. I've considered it not safe for me to tell the resident she can use the shower in case of accidental spray onto the cables. Would it be allowed for the builder (unqualified electrician) to re-fit the light/socket so everything's safley terminated, which can then be checked by the electrician when he arrives a week later?

They should never have been left live in that condition. Clearly the builder is not competent to carry out electrical work.

If you are managing the job you have to question your own competence, why do you think it's acceptable for a builder to put cables in and energise? Obviously the work isn't safe and hasn't been tested. Working with electricity is a skilled trade, hence the 4 year apprenticeship! I'd be reporting your builder to HSE

As those above have already said, doesn't sound like he's any common sense let alone safety sense, tbh I don't even think I would let the builder change a plug top fuse by the sounds of him lol

Reply to Permitted electrical work if unqualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

We have had builders in, who have stopped for Xmas. My daughter tried to do a wash. The wash machine wouldnt. Its power socket is dead. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have an old Country villa in Spain. The housing electrics were not good so the house recently has been completely re-wired to a good...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice to help me troubleshoot my strange issue with my consumer unit/fuse board on which my RCD keeps tripping...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Looking for help here as I've come across a strange call-out today. Bare with me here: Got a call from a customer saying they had...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New to the forum! Quick background on me: I have a degree in electrical engineering and spent many years working with qualified...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock