Discuss Planning garage sub-main project in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The right hand side of your board with the lighting MCBs isn't RCD protected and the blank will be a spare way- so subject to a decent Ze you could simply fit an additional matching MCB for the new SWA, but it will have to be glanded properly, possibly into a small metal enclosure to ensure the armour is earthed. EDIT= Ah I've just seen your post stating T&E for the first part of the run, so the SWA can be glanded into a weatherproof enclosure with an earthing nut and lead to the CPCs.
So I could join the SWA into a IP65 rated box and attach a banjo, nut and cpc to Earth the SWA?

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

So the db is in the porch on the ground floor (highlighted red) and the first floor pic with red lines is my proposed route going under the floor boards or up into the loft.
You don't want to put the garage on the RCD side, just asking for trouble for the rest of the house being tripped by garage trouble.

If it can go on the MCB side (assuming SWA all the way, end of cable Zs acceptable, etc) then do that.

Off hand I don't know if RCBO are available for that board should you need 30mA additional protection there, but keeping it off the existing RCD would be sensible.

However, you might want to plan to replace that CU in the near future anyway so keep enough cable slack to along that.

Last edited:
You don't want to put the garage on the RCD side, just asking for trouble for the rest of the house being tripped by garage trouble.

If it can go on the MCB side (assuming SWA all the way, end of cable Zs acceptable, etc) then do that.

Off hand I don't know if RCBO are available for that board should you need 30mA additional protection there, but keeping it off the existing RCD would be sensible.

However, you might want to plan to replace that CU in the near future anyway so keep enough cable slack to along that.
You mentioned SWA all the way, is this because a join in cable with (T&E) would affect Zs readings or something?

Tbf I am leaning towards a board change at this point I won't lie.

Think about requirements for rcd protection of cables.
apart from the fact that where possible it is better to design a circuit with fewer or no joints in it.

ou mentioned SWA all the way, is this because a join in cable with (T&E) would affect Zs readings or something?
The point is that depending on the run, T&E might need RCD protection for Impact Protection. SWA definitely wouldn't for that reason. That is one reason why a few people are suggesting SWA all the way.

For fault protection purposes we need to be sure that a fault will trip the protective device (breaker) in the house. Until you know the Ze, the cable length and the cable size, the resistance (R1+R2) of the circuit can't be calculated and added to the Ze and then checked against the max Zs value for the device. (An RCD may be required for fault protection if the Zs exceeds the limit for the device. )

A further consideration is whether there are any metal services like water pipe for a tap entering the garage, as if anything needs bonding the far end you need to make sure the CPC is big enough to support this.

So this job can be easy (Low Ze, nothing to bond the far end) or quite difficult (High Ze, RCD needed for fault protection, larger SWA needed to bond services the far end, then decisions about selectivity of RCDs etc. etc.).

You mentioned SWA all the way, is this because a join in cable with (T&E) would affect Zs readings or something?

Tbf I am leaning towards a board change at this point I won't lie.
No joints and the t+e may need rcd protection depending on the route. Swa back to the board it a better solution and will cost minimally more due to the short length of the cable

Ok so lots to think about haha.

Realistically I'm leaning towards fitting a new board at the house with RCBOs. Then to supply the garage DB, a 40A MCB. Am I right in thinking I'd need RCD protection for this sole MCB?

Realistically I'm leaning towards fitting a new board at the house with RCBOs. Then to supply the garage DB, a 40A MCB. Am I right in thinking I'd need RCD protection for this sole MCB?
No not as long as the criteria is met for disconnection /cable sizing /bonding etc

You need to know the type of earthing you have and if the garage door is actually extraneous or there is a likelihood of having anything extraneous that may require bonding.

No not as long as the criteria is met for disconnection /cable sizing /bonding etc

You need to know the type of earthing you have and if the garage door is actually extraneous or there is a likelihood of having anything extraneous that may require bonding.
I think I'll get some pics later with the board cover off for you all to have a look at to build the picture further.

I can't think that there is anything that will need bonding in the garage tbh, unless you count the metal board itself?

So far, all the advice offered has been on the technical side of things.
Has anyone pointed out that a new circuit, and/or a new consumer unit has to notified to local authority building control before work commences? (Or that the work be carried out by a registered competent installer.)

The right hand side of your board with the lighting MCBs isn't RCD protected and the blank will be a spare way- so subject to a decent Ze you could simply fit an additional matching MCB for the new SWA, but it will have to be glanded properly, possibly into a small metal enclosure to ensure the armour is earthed. EDIT= Ah I've just seen your post stating T&E for the first part of the run, so the SWA can be glanded into a weatherproof enclosure with an earthing nut and lead to the CPCs.
If you need this much guidance I'm not sure you should be taking the work on

If you’re using twin and earth depending on your route maybe, then no rcd in garage. If swa straight to board no rcd protection in house just in garage board. In all honesty this is really basic stuff that you should know.

Reply to Planning garage sub-main project in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net