Search the forum,

Discuss Potential overload of ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had a look at clamp meters, great solution except you can only clamp individual conductors - apart from a Megger model which doesn't seem available any more. Individual conductors are only accessible in the CU, not sure if you could get the clamp in there. Splitting cables doesn't seem an easy option?

Maybe the idea is a flexible adapter, a hoop you can unplug and pass behind the conductor and then re-plug, pushing the banana plugs at the other end of the adapter into your multimeter. Not cheap at £100+ though.

Individual conductors available in every socket. on a ring final the same current(ish) will be at every socket.
But there’s usually room for a clamp meter in the CU, One of the line conductors going into the MCB Is the usual place. There’s usually a short loop at that point.

No, you won’t get any current there.
Unscrew the socket and access the conductors behind. But better and more accurate inside the consumer unit.

Take socket front off, clamp meter on live conductor. Don't do it using a 13A plug top as you will only see the current that the plugged in device is using.

Had a look at clamp meters, great solution except you can only clamp individual conductors - apart from a Megger model which doesn't seem available any more. Individual conductors are only accessible in the CU, not sure if you could get the clamp in there. Splitting cables doesn't seem an easy option?
I have 1 of those Megger clamps handy bit of kit.

Thanks for the suggestions, some good ones there. CU might be the best bet, though space is a little limited. I also thought you needed to avoid close proximity to other conductors as that might affect the magnetic field. I'll go for the cheap clamp meter off Amazon and experiment - though as I say there's been no tripping at all so far even with the system under reasonably high load (I'm not looking forward to the bill though..)

Thanks for the suggestions, some good ones there. CU might be the best bet, though space is a little limited. I also thought you needed to avoid close proximity to other conductors as that might affect the magnetic field. I'll go for the cheap clamp meter off Amazon and experiment - though as I say there's been no tripping at all so far even with the system under reasonably high load (I'm not looking forward to the bill though..)
This is what you need, might find one on ebay, I still have mine.
http://www.biddlemegger.com/biddle-ug/Flexiclamp_200_UG.pdf

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll have a look at the Flexiclamp.
Yes that's right about the 'efficiency' claims. I got the impression that Haverland were suggesting they could produce more heat per amp, but how you would measure that I'm not sure, without some sort of comparison. They certainly chuck out the heat and no-one's been cold, but as I say we'll see what the elec bill is like before celebrating.

Can't find a Flexiclamp 200 anywhere, even Ebay. I guess one might come up sometime, in the meantime I'll go for the cheapo Amazon one - thanks Taylortwocities for the advice re ohter influences

Can't find a Flexiclamp 200 anywhere, even Ebay. I guess one might come up sometime, in the meantime I'll go for the cheapo Amazon one - thanks Taylortwocities for the advice re ohter influences
Still got mine?

Or you can clamp the live meter tail to get total current. And then switch on one circuit at a time to see individual circuit currents.

Which is a far more sensible suggestion than messing around trying to get a clamp meter into a consumer unit, or measure half the current at a socket!

Individual conductors available in every socket. on a ring final the same current(ish) will be at every socket.
But there’s usually room for a clamp meter in the CU, One of the line conductors going into the MCB Is the usual place. There’s usually a short loop at that point.

There’s an obvious problem with this suggestion, and other methods of measurement are safer to carry out.

Reply to Potential overload of ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back