Discuss pre heating water to combi boiler wih solar pcwer in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Some months ago I remember seeing a advert for basically a squarish seeled box filled with bags that are filled with some kind of chemical that can accept a charge using a voltage from solar pv that are capable of heating water before it goes into a combi boiler saving on your gas {have looked on ebay and and youtube where there was a video hope someone can point me in the right direction I would be obliged.

I assume this is for preheating the cold feed for the DHW if so I don't see any benefit unless you are drawing large amounts of hot water regularly.
If it is a condensing combi boiler it may cause the boiler not to function as intended

Picking up on the boiler aspect - for the original boiler to work and be controlled properly the incoming water temperature has to be within a set range (25C max for example). Perhaps confirm the max temp spec for yours and your water supply temperature. Combined with your daily use this will give an idea of the possible energy savings.
It might be best to just get a system that has been designed to work this way. That eBay thing sounds like a science experiment I did in the back yard as a kid, it didn’t end well but I enjoyed it :) .

use caution with any water system that stores luke warm water, it can be a breeding ground for all sorts of nasty's, some of which can be fatal if breathed in.

Some months ago I remember seeing a advert for basically a squarish seeled box filled with bags that are filled with some kind of chemical that can accept a charge using a voltage from solar pv that are capable of heating water before it goes into a combi boiler saving on your gas {have looked on ebay and and youtube where there was a video hope someone can point me in the right direction I would be obliged.

We used to call that a "Disco" ;)

Reply to pre heating water to combi boiler wih solar pcwer in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net