Discuss Proposed Caravan Site in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know, before anyone asks Im thinking the same.

Anyway, I have been asked by a customer (on the phone) how much to convert an old farm building into a caravan site for approx 14 pitches, from what i have gathered there is a TT supply feeding a 100A fuse from the DNO. I have yet to see this install yet, asked the customer to email me some pics as this is up north from me, and want to see if its worth my while to start with.

I digress, sorry. Am I right in thinking that they may have to upgrade to a 3 phase supply to allow for the pitches and main building (which has about 5 individual C/U within the property). Or could I get away (bad term im sorry) with just derateing everything to 80A?

I'm just picking brains until I get the pictures from him.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

what's the demand from the proposed new design?

from my experience with what these mobile homes come with these days I think it's safe to assume that a 3phase system may be required..

Last edited:
Unknown at the moment, When i mentioned 3 phase they said "would a caravan really use that much?", I did say that if you have 14 pitches and the entire house then you may have too.

But anyway, havent asked too many questions until i get the piccies, if they are worth looking at i will post them too

Most caravan sites have a 10Amp supply to each pitch, for touring caravans anyway - are they touring or permanent? Obviously if permanent they will need more. If they are touring, you could have some that are 16A, some which are 10A and some which are 6A and the owner could charge different amounts, this could help keep the demand down and mean that a 3P is not required.

It's probably going to involved a fair amount of discussion over what the owner wants from his site and for the house. If he is planning to possibly expand to tents and wants a toilet/shower/dishwash block in the future too then this would also require the additional load of extra hand driers/ lighting/ sockets/ power showers etc.

If it is 14 Static caravans then I think there is no chance you will get it all on the current supply :)

14 pitches with say, a standard 16A outlet = 224A. Obviously diversity will play a big factor here as not all pitches will be drawing 16A, nor will they be in use at the same time all year round etc etc. Will there be a toilet/shower block also???

A 100A single phase supply for these and the existing/new buildings will not be anywhere near enough IMO and detailed thought will need to be given when you have more info.

Thanks j@ames, thats pretty much what i was thinking, but like i said until i get the pics, i wasn't going to worry about it too much, just have to break out the brb i think. I think it will be touring caravans and not static. Am i right in thinking that i could wire them all off the same supply (max demand permitting of course)with just the hookups at each pitch

Well it's a bigger size site, but I have done a lot of work on a site that had approx 70 pitches. It had an office, and a bungalow for the warden. The existing installation is PME TP&N, which supplied a couple of load centres. Needless to say, with these mobiles homes these days requiring more demand than council houses, all the cables are undersized.

I guess you need to find out more about the use of the site... is it a 'mobile home' type setup or a typical 'caravan'?

Last edited:
14 pitches with say, a standard 16A outlet = 224A. Obviously diversity will play a big factor here as not all pitches will be drawing 16A, nor will they be in use at the same time all year round etc etc. Will there be a toilet/shower block also???

A 100A single phase supply for these and the existing/new buildings will not be anywhere near enough IMO and detailed thought will need to be given when you have more info.

Thanks Lenny, this was exactly what i was thinking, but i guess i will just wait and see if he sends the pics

Personally I'd try and split it up so that if the main breaker for the circuit trips the whole site isn't affected.

2-3 outlets of RCBO/ MCB/RCD and then have individual CU's at each pitch with an RCBO of the required size and a site-socket attached.

Reply to Proposed Caravan Site in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net