Discuss Quick question re smoke detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Squid

Hava a mate who asked a question and as you know I am not up to speed with current regs, can you piggy back of a lighting circuit to power smoke detectors or not they will have a battery backup. It seems the build is a bit of a c0ck up and don't ask me about the missing pad stones. Just trying to help him out so he doesn't get screwed over, my builder is hopefully sorting out the pd stones issue, I have nicknamed him Marcellus Wallace for the time being.

I know the best way like what I did in my flat was to power them on their own dedicated circuit.

I’ve read that it’s recommended that the smoke detectors are installed off your lighting circuit as if the mcb tripped your more likely to notice that the power is off.
If it’s on it’s own dedicated circuit and it tripped the home owner may not even realise until the battery starts beeping.
That said both are acceptable methods.

You can as long as the smokes can be isolated (can find relevant reference for you next week but currently abroad). With brands like Aico you can remove the alarm from the base, which covers this. If you can't remove the alarm from the base perhaps install a keyswitch or something similar so they can't be switched off accidentally.

I've not heard it or seen it, and it wouldn't be too hard to think of a situation where that isolation comes in the form of a SFCU... fuse blows and it's bad as having them on their own circuit. You may never know they are off.

I'm in two minds about this. I have installed 2 smoke sets recently, one off the lighting circuit and one off a spare way in the CU. My thoughts are that the separate MCB circuit is better...if you think the green light won't show and that would alert you, yes..but frankly in rental properties I don't think you can rely on that. Tenants will notice if the lights are off, but not if the separate circuit with the smokes is dead.. However, I do feel that on balance it is more likely that a dedicated lighting circuit may blow when a lamp breaks down...these circuits are more "volatile"...so, with, say hall lights left on overnight, a lamp failure might kill the whole circuit, whereas it is much less likely for a smoke to trip if it is on its own circuit, as there is no other draw, and the "volatility" is therefore much lower. I would think that a lighting circuit with, say, 6 lamps, would be much more prone to blow than a dedicated smokes circuit with say 3 alarms drawing next to nothing...and as I only install smokes with 10 year lithium batteries, there is no real risk of being without cover even if the mains fails.
End result, if you install 10 year Li units, with radio-interconnect, it doesn't really matter which method you use, but on either, you will get an emergency warning tone from the alarms when the battery is getting low, regardless of the mains failure. However, in contrast, if your smokes do not have the battery backup, the less volatile installation is maybe better...off a spare mcb...less prone to tripping when a lamp fails...which will happen.

I'm in two minds about this. I have installed 2 smoke sets recently, one off the lighting circuit and one off a spare way in the CU. My thoughts are that the separate MCB circuit is better...if you think the green light won't show and that would alert you, yes..but frankly in rental properties I don't think you can rely on that. Tenants will notice if the lights are off, but not if the separate circuit with the smokes is dead.. However, I do feel that on balance it is more likely that a dedicated lighting circuit may blow when a lamp breaks down...these circuits are more "volatile"...so, with, say hall lights left on overnight, a lamp failure might kill the whole circuit, whereas it is much less likely for a smoke to trip if it is on its own circuit, as there is no other draw, and the "volatility" is therefore much lower. I would think that a lighting circuit with, say, 6 lamps, would be much more prone to blow than a dedicated smokes circuit with say 3 alarms drawing next to nothing...and as I only install smokes with 10 year lithium batteries, there is no real risk of being without cover even if the mains fails.
End result, if you install 10 year Li units, with radio-interconnect, it doesn't really matter which method you use, but on either, you will get an emergency warning tone from the alarms when the battery is getting low, regardless of the mains failure. However, in contrast, if your smokes do not have the battery backup, the less volatile installation is maybe better...off a spare mcb...less prone to tripping when a lamp fails...which will happen.

Lighting circuit always for me, be it rental or high end new build. That said have yet to come across a Domestic Smokie Circuit on its own MCB/Fuse that has tripped/blown the fuse of it's own accord...seems to be more to do with Oxygen Thiefs not being capable of changing a battery and a hammer being used to stop the detector bleeping.

Lighting circuit always for me, be it rental or high end new build. That said have yet to come across a Domestic Smokie Circuit on its own MCB/Fuse that has tripped/blown the fuse of it's own accord...seems to be more to do with Oxygen Thiefs not being capable of changing a battery and a hammer being used to stop the detector bleeping.
Oxygen Thief's, that's a good one

Cheers guys, his build is nearly completed so it would be a pain to run a new circuit so the best way would be off the lighting circuit, maybe the mains powered nest stuff as they talk to each other wirelessly andy thought on them?

I thought on smokes if they are dead and the battery backup voltage gets low then you get an annoying beep.

Reply to Quick question re smoke detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net