Discuss RCD fail in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I tend to test at a socket/light fitting, then if anything 'odd' shows up I test it at the board compare the results and go from there.

As Murdoch pointed out though, a slow RCD can frequently be brought back to spec with a few presses of the manual test button.

That's the arse about face way of doing things!! lol!! Your RCD tester, is good for testing RCDs of all descriptions, not the circuit(s) it's protecting....

Plugging in the RCD doesn't 'test' the circuit E54 that hopefully would have been done with the dead tests and the Zs test, you are simply using the conducters to test the RCD,if as some people seem to think its a good thing to limit 'Live' testing..what's safer ? Plug it in or probes ?
J

Plugging in the RCD doesn't 'test' the circuit E54 that hopefully would have been done with the dead tests and the Zs test, you are simply using the conductors to test the RCD,if as some people seem to think its a good thing to limit 'Live' testing..what's safer ? Plug it in or probes ?
J

Adds to the resistance of the provided leads though doesn't it as well as measuring through any noise or whatever on the neutral and CPC!! I wonder why all the manufacturers of RCD devices ALL recommend testing at the load side of the device itself??

Adds to the resistance of the provided leads though doesn't it as well as measuring through any noise or whatever on the neutral and CPC!!

Which are exactly the circumstances under which the RCD is required to work if a fault occurs. So to my mind the testing at that point is a far more accurate description of the RCD's 'real' operation. As I said, if all is fine there then that's that, if not then test at the RCD and go from there based on your findings.

Which are exactly the circumstances under which the RCD is required to work if a fault occurs. So to my mind the testing at that point is a far more accurate description of the RCD's 'real' operation. As I said, if all is fine there then that's that, if not then test at the RCD and go from there based on your findings.

I give up!!!

Reply to RCD fail in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net