Discuss RCDs and the Importance of the Test Button. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This rcd fail issue is a clear explanation as to why relying on Rcd's is fundamentally wrong, the things should be banished, a better approach needs to be sort. RCDs only give a false sense of security. The manufacturers would dissolve all responsibility as they would say that their instructions had not been followed.
Whilst I agree that after several manual trips the things work within specified parameters, they should be replaced. Perhaps the manufactures should employ quarterly rcd testers. Either that or every one that fails should be returned for a free replacement.

This rcd fail issue is a clear explanation as to why relying on Rcd's is fundamentally wrong, the things should be banished, a better approach needs to be sort. RCDs only give a false sense of security. The manufacturers would dissolve all responsibility as they would say that their instructions had not been followed.
Whilst I agree that after several manual trips the things work within specified parameters, they should be replaced. Perhaps the manufactures should employ quarterly rcd testers. Either that or every one that fails should be returned for a free replacement.
agreed....if you cant get a compliant Zs without RCD then theres something wrong....i`v seen several previous schedule of tests now when on an ECR with 1667 scrawled down the loop boxes.....not acceptable to me as its supposed to be additional protection on TN...i wouldn`t accept it for fault on a TN....which is effectively what it`s doing if Zs hasn`t been met without it...

HI,
The Company I used to work for had us pressing the test buttons on RCD's on over 200 sites every 3 months ( as per manufacturers instructions ). Needless to say we integrated this with other maintenance work. Once a year we tested the tripping times of the RCD's and tested the button last. As Tel says they can get a bit 'sticky'.

Regards.

Ha I do this on a couple of sites...just walk round the site pressing the buttons, nice and easy...

yes....
and how many customers take any notice of the test quarterly sticker....or are shown functional operation on handover...

Of course my own house gets plunged into 'reset all the clocks mode' every 12 weeks, Mrs Rock just lives for the moment.

:joker:

This is the trouble. The conscientous householder may do the test a few times, but then either soon forgets, or thinks fup that, I'm not going round resetting everything every time I do this, and doesn't bother.

but these same customers who can't be arsed to do this simple thing won't forget to have the BMW/Merc/4x4 serviced regularly, just in case the brakes fail and they get splattered across the M6. but they're quite happy to put their lives in the hands of a £20 device that may or may not work to save said lives. crazy.

The mentality seems to be "if it works its got to be fine." Maybe all RCD's should have a 12 week timer and alarm fitted to them which is silenced with the test button.

The mentality seems to be "if it works its got to be fine." Maybe all RCD's should have a 12 week timer and alarm fitted to them which is silenced with the test button.

Failing that , ask the client what appliance they use roughly every 3 months , and then put the neutral in the earth at the plug top .

but these same customers who can't be arsed to do this simple thing won't forget to have the BMW/Merc/4x4 serviced regularly, just in case the brakes fail and they get splattered across the M6. but they're quite happy to put their lives in the hands of a £20 device that may or may not work to save said lives. crazy.
its the `well its always worked fine` mentality here again Tel....
till it fires that is...

if the RCD fails to operate 1st time using the manual test button then i was always told it should be condemned...but as has been pointed out....thousands of RCDs would then have to be condemned....a few goes usually loosens em up....
another one as well is an RCD should be replaced everytime it clears a fault....
suppose that puts testing them out to grass then....

Trouble is that there is no fault or service indicators so how do you ever tell it's cleared a fault

Most cars these days have a built in reminder for servicing and major faults so it does make it difficult to forget or ignore. May be there is an opportunity for someone to develop a consumer unit that informs the householder that their installation needs an EICR or other work carrying out

should make them like intruded alarms with a service timer. time runs out - leccy cuts off, call sparks.

Reply to RCDs and the Importance of the Test Button. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net