Discuss Recommended updates please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fearlesspierre

Guys,

I have decided to make a return to electrical contracting after something like 10 years away. I qualified in the early 1980's on the 16th gaining c&g 236 pts 1 & 2 approved and at the time was working PAYE servicing and installing large industrial fire alarm systems. I guess I did the natural progression bit and was moved into the "office" to survey, design and quote similar systems. Then in the late 90's I gave it all up to work with a pal and obtained my CIS4 card as a contractor and "subbed" from him, completing installations etc. He (and I) were doing well but lost a major maintenance contract and I couldn't afford to carry on. I trained as a London bus driver but after 10 years my brain has attrified (spelling?) and I now wish to come back in from the cold LOL!

My question is:

What catch-up courses would you guys recommend for me to bring me up to speed. I'm obviously aware of the 17th edition and this part P business but both only as an overview.

Your thoughts would be gratefully received

regards

Pete H.

In a similar boat myself mate. I am doing the 17th, You will need to do the full course like myself. and then i plan to do the 2391.
Then depending on what route i go down when i get made redundant from my current profession will determine if i go with a a scheme to register as Part P.

I was made redundant last year and after 10 years in management thought that I could do the same, I have 2361 and 2, 2391 and even C&G refrig and aircon qual.
When I contacted agencies they said that I had been in management too long and it would be difficult to get sparkying or refrig work not saying it cant be done but it does seem to be a barrier, also any management or office based skills you have seem to be a threat to the very guys that are hiring in companies one quoted as saying I would BE AFTER HIS JOB!!

Any positive experiences you come accross would be usefull to know, I am still booked on the 17th exam anyway just doing some study before my attempt.

Reply to Recommended updates please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net