Discuss Relocating wall socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Apologies for a naive question. I want to move a twin socket (older style on the skirting at present) by about 2 feet to the right and 6 inches or so above the skirting (i.e. on the wall).

The floor is solid and am not keen to chisel out the wall. Can I use a wall mounted plastic conduit to hide / protect the cables to the new socket? The old socket will be removed.

Apologies for a naive question. I want to move a twin socket (older style on the skirting at present) by about 2 feet to the right and 6 inches or so above the skirting (i.e. on the wall).

The floor is solid and am not keen to chisel out the wall. Can I use a wall mounted plastic conduit to hide / protect the cables to the new socket? The old socket will be removed.
Will the conduit be surface mounted or flush (buried in the wall fabric)

Surface mounted. Like I said, I do not want to chisel the wall.
OK, so how do get the cable to the new socket outlet position, from the original position, I realise in the conduit, but how do you connect the surface conduit to the original position (now your JB)?

whole idea sounds like a bodge. Chase out above socket, dig out cable, fit new socket at whatever height you want, then chase horizontal to a second new socket. 2 new sockets for the effort of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
whole idea sounds like a bodge and it. Chase out above socket, dig out cable, fit new socket at whatever height you want, then chase horizontal to a second new socket. 2 new sockets for the effort of one.

The floor is now wooden floor. The current socket cable comes up from the floor. Hence I want to take the feed from the old one to new one using a conduit. The position of old socket will have a round connection socket. The wire from this socket will feed the new socket on the wall.
[automerge]1579207820[/automerge]
Yes you can use surface conduit but there are a few other factors to consider.

such as?
[automerge]1579207915[/automerge]
has the socket got any rcd on the ring /radial .

Yes. The RCD is on the fuse box which trips on any problems with the electrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
join cable under floor using an approved method. bring out behind skirting directly below where you want new socket. chase up to new socket.

whole idea sounds like a bodge and it will look like a pig's scrotum. xhase out above socket, dig out cable, fit new socket at whatever height you want, then chase horizontal to a second new socket. 2 new sockets for the effort of one.

Also there is a radiator on the wall above the old socket, hence one cant chisel easily.
[automerge]1579208529[/automerge]
join cable under floor using an approved method. bring out behind skirting directly below where you want new socket. chase up to new socket.

I cannot get under the floor - it is solid wood floor now and I cannot "break" it up. The existing socket was installed prior to the current new floor.

Last edited:
The floor is now wooden floor. The current socket cable comes up from the floor. Hence I want to take the feed from the old one to new one using a conduit. The position of old socket will have a round connection socket. The wire from this socket will feed the new socket on the wall.
[automerge]1579207820[/automerge]

such as?
[automerge]1579207915[/automerge]

Yes. The RCD is on the fuse box which trips on any problems with the electrics.
Rcd protection, suitable cable size, whether you are spurring or extending the existing ring, what kind of joint you ar going to make in the cable, whether the test results for the circuit after you have altered it are acceptable. Or in your case, whether the fuse goes bang when you turn it back on.

Dont think you have many options with all those factors taken into account. Visually a joint box will probably be quite offensive to the keen eyed but practically I think it's the only option. Why conduit? Maybe trunking would be better?

Is the existing socket surface mounted on the skirting?

Yes it is mounted on the skirting.
[automerge]1579216469[/automerge]
Dont think you have many options with all those factors taken into account. Visually a joint box will probably be quite offensive to the keen eyed but practically I think it's the only option. Why conduit? Maybe trunking would be better?

My apologies! Got the "name" mixed up!! Meant to say trunking and not conduit!! Is trunking acceptable for what I need to do?

Just use the existing socket as junction box but replace socket with blank plate and then run trunking to new socket. As above though Re checking type and state of existing circuit.

Just use the existing socket as junction box but replace socket with blank plate and then run trunking to new socket. As above though Re checking type and state of existing circuit.

I think that's what he's intending doing. But not very clear. Is that right OP?

Reply to Relocating wall socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net