Discuss Removing Fused spur in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Anna Rack

I've got a switched fused spur which feeds another switched fused spur - a bit pointless so I want to remove one.

I realise I could just fit a blanking plate and join the wires inside the box but I would prefer to bury the cable inside the wall and plaster over.

What is the correct procedure for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

The correct procedure is your first one ! Under no circumstances should you "just plaster over" a jointed cable .

unless the cable and joint are still within a prescribed zone and the joint is M/F ( crimps & heat shrink, or similar)

Ok thanks, the spur is above some kitchen cabinets and was the feed to the extractor. For some reason when a new kitchen was fitted by a previous owner, they also added a switch lower down.

It's not really that noticeable being obscured by the units slightly, so cable allowing, I guess I could fit a blanking cover and move it down slightly to hide it further.. or maybe a smaller architrave size box with a blanking plate?

So if its above the cupboards couldn't you simply leave it as is? or put an ornament in front of it?

I suppose it would be easier! Just thought while I'm decorating would be nice to deal with it.

blanking plate and paint over. keep life simple, like facebook addicts.

or horizonally , or within 6" of the ceiling, even.

wouldn't have thought horizontally as it is above cabinets, but yes could be within 6" of ceiling

Original FCU is a couple of inches below ceiling. Newer FCU is directly below, at hand height.

You will probably find the lower FCU is fed from the the one above.
In which case I would recommend jointing the cables and just fit a blanking plate.

Reply to Removing Fused spur in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net