Discuss Rosemary tiles - what are your thoughts...? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Quoting for a rosemary tilled roof on a post war semi. Tiles which have been pointed in on the inside, no felt and a lot of timber. Client has had a quote already and the installer said they would drill tiles and use hanger bolts - stomach did a turn when I heard that!

Has anyone come across this before? How easy was it to lift the tiles without breaking the surrounding ones?

my thoughts are it wants felting tbh, once you disturb the back pointing thats it, and old clay tiles are going to break all day long. good luck to them trying hanger bolts!

Yup, removing Rosemary's will disturb the torching (the compo gobbed up the back). I believe in order to comply with Building Regs the roof has to be put back in line with modern standards - ie. it needs to be felted (don't quote me on that). Regardless, we'd quote to remove the elevation and apply felt (and have lost a job because of that - to a cowboy that used hanger bolts.)

As far as I'm concerned, hanger bolts are never be used on tiled roofs and if an elevation isn't felted, it should be before installing PV.

Yep, late last year, we were the only one that inspected the loft space and picked it up, client appreciated our diligence and we got the job, we stripped it back, felted, new battens, and put in the Red-tip roof hooks as we went - sweet job.

Once you move the tiles you stand no chance of achieving a waterproof roof.

do not drill the tiles my friend only cowboys do this, why dont you remove the tile (put a sheet down in the loft to catch the old compo)fit panels and repoint tiles up later in the loft may take an extra 4 hours of your time.

Thanks for all your comments guys and gals, for the record, we wouldn't suggest drilling in a million years!

why dont you remove the tile (put a sheet down in the loft to catch the old compo)fit panels and repoint tiles up later in the loft may take an extra 4 hours of your time.

This is what we were thinking of doing, so glad someone else is thinking the same!

Yep, late last year, we were the only one that inspected the loft space and picked it up, client appreciated our diligence and we got the job, we stripped it back, felted, new battens, and put in the Red-tip roof hooks as we went - sweet job.

Once you move the tiles you stand no chance of achieving a waterproof roof.

What are the red-tips like to work with on Rosemary? good? do you still need to flash the bracket in?

The RedTips went in really nicely, no cutting and no flashing required (on this roof) though they way they fitted we have done a couple of other roofs with their other hooks and also managed to get away with no flashing, the slate roof hook did need some flashing, however it was one of thos 'diamond pattern' slate roofs. Forutnately the s;ate roof install was done at the same time as a r-rrofing josb and we incorporated a solar thermal system into it at the same time, final job looks sweet.
The red-tips are expensive, though they fit nicely on UK rafters and they save time on trimming tiles and flashing on a lot of jobs, our roofers particulalrly like(d) them. (Like(d) coz they are a little quite at the moment!)
The big boys won't touch them as their guys are on job and away, so they always gopt for the cheapest hook!

Thanks for the feed back, if your saving lead then maybe there not that expensive. Im going to look into those for a possible rosemary job.

Reply to Rosemary tiles - what are your thoughts...? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net