Discuss Running CAT6 cables... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
Just moved into a new house and am going to re-wire the whole place (sparks by trade). I have very little experience in home network systems but would also like to run CAT6 cable for internet in each room, CCTV also. Are there any good websites or can anyone give advice on where/how I should be doing this?
I know I sound a little vague but the ultimate goal is to have CCTV externally and internet in each room and wondered what the best way to do this is. I've also seen people mention running it instead of HDMI? Thought it best to run them now whilst I am pulling up all the floors and cutting chases!
Cheers

Running copper Ethernet has the big advantage of allowing PoE - so you don't need additional cables for powering cameras, etc.

How you do it depends on the scale you want, typically for big offices you would have a PoE switch on each floor with copper to the PCs, IoT stuff, etc, and then route the switches together with just a couple of links (often with fibre to allow 10G backbone, but not needed here). That saves a lot of cable going from floor to floor, but then you have multiple switches to power. They need not be big ones though, you can get 8 port PoE without fan that are silent and only take tens of watts max!

You sure that you need Cat6, its easily damaged and you need to keep the bend radius down. One advantage of Cat6 is it can be use as HDMI. I recently wired my place in Cat5e which can support up to 1 mega bit speeds and its highly unlikely an ISP will provide anything near them kindof speeds to a house anyways. Check out the AV Forums, theres a few threads about home networks and some good pictures !

and its highly unlikely an ISP will provide anything near them kindof speeds to a house anyways
When BT shut off the copper network in 2025 high internet speeds will be much more common. (well when the fibre cables are installed to replace it.)

When BT shut off the copper network in 2025 high internet speeds will be much more common. (well when the fibre cables are installed to replace them.)

Yeah how long they been telling us that for, my download speed is still 20mbps (FTTP) and I can see the fibre cabinet from my window ! Cat5e can handle upto 1Gb, what more does anyone need !

Yeah how long they been telling us that for, my download speed is still 20mbps (FTTP) and I can see the fibre cabinet from my window ! Cat5e can handle upto 1Gb, what more does anyone need !
Do you mean FTTC (Cabinet) rather than Premises ?

The problem is BT... even though they are a private company and have been for many years... they are still very like a government department... woefully incompetent. They have regular rounds of VR (Voluntary Redundancy) losing all those that are clever and able. This leaves those that don't stand a hope in hell of being employed elsewhere. Not a good strategy...

I'm quite lucky here, being a 10 minute walk from the exchange.

View: https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/3Mk6lAh

Wow I can only dream, is that FTTP? heres mine.......
[automerge]1589321846[/automerge]
Do you mean FTTC (Cabinet) rather than Premises ?

Yeh sorry i meant FTTC, to cabinet
[automerge]1589322045[/automerge]
I'm quite lucky here, being a 10 minute walk from the exchange.
View: https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/jnzxTQi

I do have a better ping thou lol, sometimes its as low as 1ms

Attachments

• speed test.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yes FTTC. Though I believe all new connections now are FTTP and requests for new copper lines are not being accepted, from what I've read anyway.

Packages are available near us for 900Mbps download speeds.
I really don't understand much past that with data but I've just put cat6 round my house so I'm not upgrading it ever again.

Reply to Running CAT6 cables... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net