Discuss Running power from House to shop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm looking for a little help with a small project. I'm needing to run power from my cabin to my shop. Max distance is 90 feet from home panel to the shop panel. I will be trenching a 1 1/2" conduit from cabin to shop. I only need 50-60 amps to the shop as I will really only be using lights and outlets out there. I have a Square D 6 space indoor panel for the shop, homeline.

What would be the best wire to run from cabin to shop?
The shop wires have all been run and waiting for power.
I'm looking for the easiest solution,
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Paul

Hello All,
I'm looking for a little help with a small project. I'm needing to run power from my cabin to my shop. Max distance is 90 feet from home panel to the shop panel. I will be trenching a 1 1/2" conduit from cabin to shop. I only need 50-60 amps to the shop as I will really only be using lights and outlets out there. I have a Square D 6 space indoor panel for the shop, homeline.

What would be the best wire to run from cabin to shop?
The shop wires have all been run and waiting for power.
I'm looking for the easiest solution,
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Paul
Paul go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy # 6/3 romex with ground. It’s approved for direct burial and no need for conduit but 1 1/2 conduit is plenty big enough since you already have pipe in the ground. Good luck my friend

Paul go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy # 6/3 romex with ground. It’s approved for direct burial and no need for conduit but 1 1/2 conduit is plenty big enough since you already have pipe in the ground. Good luck my friend

Romex is NM cable, which is for dry locations only, not permitted outdoors or underground, UF cable is for direct burial.

100 ft 6/3 UF-B WG Underground Feeder Direct Burial Wire/Cable​

will this work?

It will, I personally do not like direct burial cable & use PVC conduit, 8 AWG THWN copper is good for 50A, 6 AWG THWN is rated for 65A & can have a 70A breaker as long as the load is 65A or less, but there is a big jump in price between a 60A, and a 70A, breaker. A conduit is cheap insurance IMO. There is a forum I visit that the standard reply for a a question like this, is to use 2 AWG aluminum MHF cable, Mobile Home Feeder cable, can use up to a 90A breaker & is cheap, but 6, or 8, gauge wire is going to be a lot easier to work with. If indiv. conductors are chosen, the 2, hots, can be black, but the neutral must white colored insulation, & the grounding conductor also must have green insulation, as per the NEC, both neutral and grounding conductors have to 4 AWG or larger in order to use tape to identify conductors. NEC article 200.6, & 250.119, although 1 or more yellow stripes are also permitted on green insulation.

Reply to Running power from House to shop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net