Discuss satiliite cabling in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

beaver74

Hi all
have been asked to install a satilite system with terestrial every where else

i menchend about satilite plus where i believe you need a flow and return to dish and there is talk of now having sat at other point in the house

now am i ringht about flow and return to dish and how do i go about getting sat to each point at a later point

Beaver

The plus bit allows you to record one channel while watching another so you will need two cables from the dish but both are receiving a signal, thats how sky plus works.

Hope that helps

Chris

If this is for a Domestic property that is only having 2 x sat points a loft box will do, but if there is a possibility of a second satellite receiver then you would be better with a DDU unit which will accept a quad LNB.

A few things to keep in mind -

Use CAI benchmarked coaxial cable not the crap alluminium foil stuff.

Most of triplex and quadplex outlets will need a minimum of a 32mm patress or back box.

Use fully screened outlets.

Also earth the amplifier unit.

Sky plus & HD needs 2 x sat feeds, the return cable comes from the sky box back to the amplifer so the sky channel can be watched around the house.

There are various ways to wire the DDU units so decide before you cable.

You need to fit a quad LNB on to the dish (thats the white cone at the end of the arm) Basicaly a SKY box needs 1 input as it is a 1 channel box Sky+ is a 2 channel box hence why you can watch one channel and record the other. Sky used to fit a twin LNB but they have stopped making them. I have a sky dish with a quad 1 port for sky multiroom 2 ports for sky+ and 1 port for my HD freesat tv (no sky subscription)

Screwfix sell the sat crade cable and screw on f connectors remember to seal the connecter on the LNB.
Also for the record you do not have to fit a sky box to the dish you can connect a freesat box/tv or a Free To Air Sat receiver to it as long as the dish is pointing to 28.2 SE.

Hope this helps

thank you all
can i just check with you all
from dish to docoder i will run 2 cables from decoder point i will run out to an amplifier from here i will run out to each point around property
i have already ruled out cheep stuff due to it being digital

OR do it properly and Run 2 x WF100 spec coax cables from central point to ecach TV location and then run 4 from dish + 1 from Rig to central location that way you can have about as much flexibility as possible. Central location should have power and dont forget a Data and Phone wiring to each location as well (phone wiring should be filtered from central location and data shoudl be provided

Make sure you have an aerial cable at your sky box and not just the sat feeds as most loftboxes will need the return cable from the sky box to have the aerial signal and the sky signal mixed by the sky box.

if you dont do this the rest of the TVs in the property wont get an aerial signal.

Reply to satiliite cabling in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net