Search the forum,

Discuss Second Year College student in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

all i can see is that he did not ensure safe isolation, and forgot to mention nulling the leads

No safe isolation?

I was going to give camerabloke a going over for not listening to the video, I initially thought that "find the mistakes the tester makes" was referring to the instrument, but its the opperative the question is aimed at, couple of things. No safe isolation lock off kit used, he has not used any voltage indicator and proving unit, and the leads are the wrong colour, or am I being to picky and are we to assume this has already been done?

sod the colour of the leads. i ain't chucking out a perfectly good set of leads just to pacify some jumped up twerp in eurine land. ( now where did i put that red/black T/E?)

Yes but this is a question for a trainee so it's got to be right lol:rockon::innocent:

hmm. i thought this *******isation ( sorry, harmonisation) of colours was to do with wiring installations.

As the video is a very edited version of the testing there is plenty that is not covered.
However since he has covered safe isolation as not being relevant since no power had been applied to the installation it is not that.
There is no explanation of the reasons for the slight differences in measured and calculated values but that is not an error just a lack of detail.
The tester should be inspected before use, the leads should be inspected before use, the tester should be tested on open circuit to check it is working, the tester should be tested on short circuit to allow a nulling value to be obtained (or to auto null the leads).
The practice of wrapping your fingers around the incoming supply cables to remove the line conductors is poor practice as in most instances even on a new install those incoming tails could be live, even though they are probably not in this video.
If the measurements were taken whilst the tester hand his hands on the probes, his fingers could be in circuit and distort the result; much more interesting on IR testing!
Oh and the leads are wrong colour!
Nothing terrible as it is such a short video.

hmm. i thought this *******isation ( sorry, harmonisation) of colours was to do with wiring installations.

:thinking2:I agree Tel just saying, I'm avin me Horlicks now and going up the wooden hill had a hard day :wacko:

welcome to pedants' corner. geordiespark will put you on probation for a month, when full membership will be granted,

Reply to Second Year College student in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net