Discuss Section cut from outer sheath of armoured cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It does look like somebody's stripped the outer sheath separated a space in the armour and spiked into at least one of the inner conductors. If that's the case just taping or resleeving the outer sheath isn't going to be an effective repair. The only way I know how to fix that type of damage is to isolate supply, cut and install a joint.

I hope I'm wrong because it beggers belief someone would do that to cables and just leave them. I'd make it my new mission in life to track down the ----er that did it and make his name shyte.

I'd also be very careful before I worked in that manhole....or whatever you call them nowadays. Those two cables that run straight through from left to right look like they're very old and might be a hazard if disturbed.

I'd also be very careful before I worked in that manhole....or whatever you call them nowadays. Those two cables that run straight through from left to right look like they're very old and might be a hazard if disturbed.

They do look very old indeed, and are almost certainly paper insulated, lead sheathed cables with a steel armour. Like many old things they were well made, are probably in perfectly good condition and would probably still stand up to more abuse than a modern SWA.

However this is only a 'probably' and yes they should at least get a thorough examination before being disturbed.

The one nearest the centre looks like it might have deteriorated somewhat. I'd probably start with a full risk assessment in conjunction with someone with good experience of lead ,bitumen and paper insulated cables. Rather be safe than sorry.

Regards the lead sheathed cables,if they were stripped of outer insulation
I would expect the insulation resistance between cores unlikely to be affected
The lead sheath itself and the oil impregnated paper wrapping the conductors should prevent ingress of moisture

The armourings themselves will probably corrode,mind you these cables were not always covered with an outside sheath in times past

The sheath that is still intact will probably act as a soakway for moisture,maybe stripping the whole of the sheath from the entire cable would have been less destructive :)

If someone has the time could they explain the Spiking of the cable, is it to prove phases ? Are those cables individual incoming feeds from a transformer to a factory or industrial unit?
Your replies are much appreciated im curious to find out why its been left as armoured cables have sheath repair kits that could be used.

If someone has the time could they explain the Spiking of the cable, is it to prove phases ? Are those cables individual incoming feeds from a transformer to a factory or industrial unit?
Your replies are much appreciated im curious to find out why its been left as armoured cables have sheath repair kits that could be used.

Spiking a cable is done to prove that it is dead (or blow the fuses) before working on it. It's done with a spiking gun which is clamped around the cable and fires a metal spike through the cable using an explosive charge.

If the cables in the picture are live then they haven't been spiked.

So those cables are dead and just left in ducts if spiked, Im wondering because surely spiking a cable to work on and then re energising after work has been completed without repairing or re jointing would be seriously bad practice and possibly fatal.
Im basically asking if a cable has been spiked is it now useless ?

So those cables are dead and just left in ducts if spiked, Im wondering because surely spiking a cable to work on and then re energising after work has been completed without repairing or re jointing would be seriously bad practice and possibly fatal.
Im basically asking if a cable has been spiked is it now useless ?

Yes spiking a cable is a destructive process, that part of the cable has to be removed. I've no experience of actually doing it but I would assume it's done in the location where the cable is going to be cut anyway to do whatever job is being done.

"Phone your mother half way though video to tell her you'll be on Telly"!
Good video Seltec - cheers.
That looks like the PPE I use up in lofts amongst all that itchy poo!

Reply to Section cut from outer sheath of armoured cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net