Discuss Should I have voltage to my earth rod? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

possible N-E fault on the installation. only way to solve is with a MFT and a spark who knows how to interpret readings.

Disconnecting any earth from an energised installation is a very dangerous thing to do, and will often result in apparently random voltages between the disconnected parts even in a perfectly safe installation.

Why on earth are the lighting circuits wired as a ring?

Instead of performing dangerous, and quite meaningless, tests that don't follow a logical fault finding process you should be testing in a logical manner.

First you need to establish whether or not there is actually anything wrong.
Measureing IR and earth leakage might help with this. Also assessing the loads for what earth leakage you might normally expect might help.

I appreciate the risk of disconnecting the earth however I was the only person at risk and was aware of what i was and was not touching.

The logical process was to establish which earth wire was the source of the live voltage, I had anticipated finding 1 then simply testing along the cable till I found the faulty section and then replace it.

What you are measuring is probably perfectly normal. When the installation MET is disconnected from earth (in this case from the rod) there is no path for even the tiniest amount of normal leakage, therefore it raises the voltage of the installation earthing system in an attempt to get to earth. When the only path is through your voltmeter, it will register a voltage, but the actual voltage does not tell you much and does not represent a voltage that will occur in normal operation. It is as much an indication of the input resistance of your meter as it is of the amount of leakage. A voltmeter with 10 megohms input resistance will read 135V when there is just 135/10,000,000 = 13.5 microamps of leakage. A different meter will read a different voltage. Therefore this is a meaningless and misleading test.

Also. NEVER DISCONNECT THE MEANS OF EARTHING WITH THE INSTALLATION ENERGISED.

What type of volt meter are you using

Its a fluke 87 true RMS multimeter
[automerge]1598362191[/automerge]
What you are measuring is probably perfectly normal. When the installation MET is disconnected from earth (in this fromthe rod) there is no path for even the tiniest amount of normal leakage, therefore it raises the voltage of the installation earthing system in an attempt to get to earth. When the only path is through your voltmeter, it will register a voltage, but the actual voltage does not tell you much and does not represent a voltage that will occur in normal operation. Therefore this is a meaningless and misleading test.

Also. NEVER DISCONNECT THE MEANS OF EARTHING WITH THE INSTALLATION ENERGISED.

Thank you that is very helpful, i note when all is connected I get a steady 35V across the earth and the neutral

I don't know why I bothered to ask, no one ever answers a question.
No as of yet it is not tested, I was waiting to get my cousin over to test it but hey recent pandemic kinda delayed that a few months.

All i want to know is what would be causing voltage to my earth? I've identified it on 4 circuits, both lighting rings, the white goods ring and the hob, which is a straight cable from the board to the hob.

I'm not trying to be awkward, but if you'd installed and tested properly in the first place you may already know the answer to your own question. And you wouldn't have energised a potentially dangerous installation.

possible N-E fault on the installation. only way to solve is with a MFT and a spark who knows how to interpret readings.

OK thanks, i get 35V across E and N and i get 235V across E and L
[automerge]1598362645[/automerge]
Maybe you have crossed your neutral with your earth at some points.

I'm going to say I don't think so but seeing as i don't have an ego issue and I believe there is a fault somewhere, I will start the triple checking. As I said though, everything works as expected currently, i know that's not reliable but its usually a good indicator.
[automerge]1598362827[/automerge]
i hate spagetti, (and pasta, paella, fish, and mayonaise). your pic only qualifies for the first.

I love spaghetti, I'm with you on all the rest though.
I considered threading in every cable in a very coordinated fashion however i didn't see the point as its not a control board, its a house.

Last edited:
read Lucien's post.you may not even have a fault at all. an analogue meter might confirm this. ( analogue being a moving coil pointer instead of the new fangled LCD garbage ). I could loan you my analogue voltmeter, manufactured in 1934, at a sensible hire cost. just needs this year's calibration next month to be sure it's as accurate as i'ts been for the last 86 years.. :).

Maybe if you had done this legally and used a Registered Electrical Contractor you wouldn't be in this mess.

The last electrician I paid for left socket on a metal back box hanging suspended in a void behind the electric fire for it to plug in to. He mustn't of had a plastic one to hand or a drill or screws either.

I put in every cable so I know none were pulled or stretched, I made every connection so I could be sure they were all tightened just right, I cut every tail so they are not too short or too long. I spent my childhood being taught to build control panels for factories but seeing as I didn't want to be a sparks I didn't. I have minimal experience in domestic wiring but I'm not a total novice when it comes to making electrical connections.
[automerge]1598364177[/automerge]
read Lucien's post.you may not even have a fault at all. an analogue meter might confirm this. ( analogue being a moving coil pointer instead of the new fangled LCD garbage ). I could loan you my analogue voltmeter, manufactured in 1934, at a sensible hire cost. just needs this year's calibration next month to be sure it's as accurate as i'ts been for the last 86 years.. :).

I used to have one, seeing as i had no use for it i let it go.

The last electrician I paid for left socket on a metal back box hanging suspended in a void behind the electric fire for it to plug in to. He mustn't of had a plastic one to hand or a drill or screws either.

I put in every cable so I know none were pulled or stretched, I made every connection so I could be sure they were all tightened just right, I cut every tail so they are not too short or too long. I spent my childhood being taught to build control panels for factories but seeing as I didn't want to be a sparks I didn't. I have minimal experience in domestic wiring but I'm not a total novice when it comes to making electrical connections.
[automerge]1598364177[/automerge]

I used to have one, seeing as i had no use for it i let it go.
there's always a use for everything. even mothers-in-law.

The installation probably isn't neutralised. Incidentally that is a UK-style DB and not configured to comply with the National Wiring Rules.

I appreciate the risk of disconnecting the earth however I was the only person at risk and was aware of what i was and was not touching.

The logical process was to establish which earth wire was the source of the live voltage, I had anticipated finding 1 then simply testing along the cable till I found the faulty section and then replace it.

Being the only person at risk does not make it any better, that just implies that no one else was there to phone the ambulance when it knocks you out cold.

You clearly were not aware of what you were doing as you did not isolate the installation before disconnecting the earth rod.

That is not a logical fault finding process, that is looking for a fault based on an assumption that a fault is there, but not actually confirming that a fault exists to start with.

I had wondered if there would be a difference.
Could you clarify what you mean by neutralised?

Neutralising is one of the basic provisions for electrical safety in the Irish wiring regulations. It is the system by which a TNCS supply has it's PEN referenced to earth on the consumers side of the ownership boundary.

Unfortunately I don't know the details of the requirements to be able to explain it, I only know the general requirement for neutralising, purpose of it and theory behind it.

Neutralising is one of the basic provisions for electrical safety in the Irish wiring regulations. It is the system by which a TNCS supply has it's PEN referenced to earth on the consumers side of the ownership boundary.

Unfortunately I don't know the details of the requirements to be able to explain it, I only know the general requirement for neutralising, purpose of it and theory behind it.
You've done well @davesparks - neutralising is where the DSO's PEN conductor is connected to the MET by the main protective conductor (also referred to as the neutralising link), which is subsequently connected to the Earth electrode via an Earthing conductor.

I've been at two properties in the last fortnight which weren't neutralised - both of them had been that way for years. One of them I was able to rectify as it had a new style cut-out whereby I could connect the conductor. The other had an old internal sealed meter (the DSO used to neutralise at the meter) and therefore required an emergency call to the ESB. They sorted it within a couple of hours after I fitted a main protective conductor ready to connect.

Almost all installations within the State are TN-C-S (although there are a very few TT installations left in rural areas - but practically none. Certainly much less than 1%).

I also don't see any main equipotential bonding present (although it's hard to be sure what's connected to what from a photo of course).

You've done well @davesparks - neutralising is where the DSO's PEN conductor is connected to the MET by the main protective conductor (also referred to as the neutralising link), which is subsequently connected to the Earth electrode via an Earthing conductor.

I've been at two properties in the last fortnight which weren't neutralised - both of them had been that way for years. One of them I was able to rectify as it had a new style cut-out whereby I could connect the conductor. The other had an old internal sealed meter (the DSO used to neutralise at the meter) and therefore required an emergency call to the ESB. They sorted it within a couple of hours after I fitted a main protective conductor ready to connect.

Almost all installations within the State are TN-C-S (although there are a very few TT installations left in rural areas - but practically none. Certainly much less than 1%).

I also don't see any main equipotential bonding present (although it's hard to be sure what's connected to what from a photo of course).

Thanks for getting back to me, obviously this is beyond me but I'd like to understand so I can have it rectified.

Currently the meter only has 2 tails; the Live and the neutral, I have set up the board in the same way as the previous was, the only difference being it was earthed to the plumbing, as all my plumbing, sinks, baths, etc. are all plastic or composite, its also plastic out to the property boundary, I fitted an earth rod. from what you are describing you suggest my supply should be TN-C-S which if I have understood it the DSO neutral doubles as the earth ie the PEN? I do not have a neutralising link between the MET and the neutral or the meter, nor did the previous board which was retrofitted around 25 years ago.

Would this not effectively make the bonded metalwork in a house effectively the same as the neutral? I realise this should not be an issue as it is effectively earth but still.

Is the inclusion of a rod an issue or if it does need a neutralising link does the rod interfere or would it be permissible to retain as an added safety measure.

The Meter is 1956 its all sealed so would need ESB to do anything there. Its an overhead supply.

I know more than I let on, I just didn't want to post something that leads to the OP having a go at anything else.

Reply to Should I have voltage to my earth rod? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net