Discuss Should I have voltage to my earth rod? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know more than I let on, I just didn't want to post something that leads to the OP having a go at anything else.
Hopefully I've not been too specific with my answer!
[automerge]1598473476[/automerge]
Thanks for getting back to me, obviously this is beyond me but I'd like to understand so I can have it rectified.
Without getting into specifics, the electrode (rod) is mandatory. You MUST have it. It's not optional. But the installation still MUST be neutralised. (Assuming it's not a TT installation - but I can nearly bet my savings that it isn't. TT installations are INCREDIBLY rare within the State and generally are older (or perhaps heritage) installations which haven't been upgraded. That said, even most ancient installations within rural areas (certainly most if not all of Donegal) are TN-C-S.)

I would suggest that you get a REC on board. You can find one on the RECI website at www.reci.ie or www.safeelectric.ie

I presume you are aware of the scope of Restricted Electric Works - it is a criminal offence for these to be carried out by anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

What part of the country are you in?

Last edited:

Without getting into specifics, the electrode (rod) is mandatory. You MUST have it. It's not optional. But the installation still MUST be neutralised. (Assuming it's not a TT installation - but I can nearly bet my savings that it isn't. TT installations are INCREDIBLY rare within the State and generally are older (or perhaps heritage) installations which haven't been upgraded. That said, even most ancient installations within rural areas (certainly most if not all of Donegal) are TN-C-S.)

I would suggest that you get a REC on board. You can find one on the RECI website at www.reci.ie or www.safeelectric.ie

I presume you are aware of the scope of Restricted Electric Works - it is a criminal offence for these to be carried out by anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

Im in west Dublin.

I was planning to get a sparks to test and rectify anything thats needed. As I understood it I thought the legal aspect was limited to tampering with ESB equipment and breaking their seals.

Im from Donegal though, assuming from your post that your up that directIon.

Im in west Dublin.

I was planning to get a sparks to test and rectify anything thats needed. As I understood it I thought the legal aspect was limited to tampering with ESB equipment and breaking their seals.

Im from Donegal though, assuming from your post that your up that directIon.
Yes I'm in Derry, although a significant proportion of my work (if not the majority) is in Donegal. I'm in Limerick today though doing some lighting maintenance for a retail outlet. Cork tomorrow, Dundrum (Dublin) on Friday.

Legally it's not simply tampering with ESB equipment - in fact almost all work within the private home is covered by Restricted Electrical Works. (Visit Electrical Services in Derry & Donegal - Walsh Electrical Services - https://www.walshelectrical.ie/electrical-services.html#restricted-works for further details.)

Yes I'm in Derry, although a significant proportion of my work (if not the majority) is in Donegal. I'm in Limerick today though doing some lighting maintenance for a retail outlet. Cork tomorrow, Dundrum (Dublin) on Friday.

Legally it's not simply tampering with ESB equipment - in fact almost all work within the private home is covered by Restricted Electrical Works. (Visit Electrical Services in Derry & Donegal - Walsh Electrical Services - https://www.walshelectrical.ie/electrical-services.html#restricted-works for further details.)

wow I’ve just been reading, it’s pretty much any domestic electrical work!
bit late now though!

Regarding immediate risk, the installation is earthed, all metallic components are bonded, the circuits are all fairly simple, connections are all good. I assume it’s safe while I await testing. It’s 9 simple circuits with appropriately sized breakers on 2 RCDs with a 2 pole isolation switch, Aside from neutralising and testing what am I likely to need an REC to do? What kind of cost would I expect to pay?

Always thought my house back home was a TT earthing arrangement and not a TN-C-S didn't know the pen to Earth was on the owner side of installation, does this mean for every TN-C-S in Ireland needs an earth rod installed for neutralizing I always assumed it was a TT because of that. You Learn something new everyday learning this trade.

TT installations are INCREDIBLY rare within the State and generally are older (or perhaps heritage) installations which haven't been upgraded. That said, even most ancient installations within rural areas (certainly most if not all of Donegal) are TN-C-S.)
Out of curiosity, is the TN-C-S more or less mandatory in the republic?

Here you would normally use the DNO (supplier) earth if, as mostly, they provide one. Generally we were mostly TN-S, but moving to TN-C-S whenever systems are replaced, etc. But you could decided you want TT and put in a rod and up-front RCD, etc.

Also do you have any issues with PEN open faults causing outdoor shock risk for car chargers, etc, or is the "every property must have Earth rods" policy doing enough to keep the stray volts down in the event of a DNO cable fault?

Reply to Should I have voltage to my earth rod? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net