Discuss Show us your website! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not currently registered.

Do you get your vat registered customers to pay the wholesalers direct for the material so they can claim the vat back?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We do a fair amount of labour only work for larger companies and main contractors.

Sorry to be blunt but I'd rather not go into detail about my tax affairs. I pay what I need to.

No offence :)

ok, ill add apart from JRCProperty lol, like a said loads of content to be added lots of work still to be done, i only posted my website because i got asked and because i started the thread, most likely the full website will get changed, i think its too plain for my liking.

:) I welcome healthy competition.....but not like todays ...I won a rewire today which was very cheap at 2k. 2 bed flat, will take 2 days , in and out still decent earner. My competition on this particular job priced it at £1200 and another at £1500 both quoting one week to complete. People in Glasgow are desperate for work and undercutting ridiculously just to get a weeks work. Poorshow.

Mr Skelton that is a very impressive website, it instils confidence and assures potential customers of you company's capabilities .

I doubt iam any competition of yours yet mate lol have you seen my threads about how to get customers haha, thats crazy who would quote 1200 for a rewire they must be mad

Someone who has paid off their mortgage, has no kids to feed anymore and enjoys holidays at butlins rather than the Carribean.

- - - Updated - - -

Mr Skelton that is a very impressive website, it instils confidence and assures potential customers of you company's capabilities .

Thank you very much :)

its here on the site if you look for it.

Do you get many takers for your £200 CU installed offer?

none actually ive not had any customer through my website, as i said its no where near finished its only been up a few week but i think iam going to redo it becoz i dont like how plain it is.

How i am i going to find where you have posted a link to your site on a big forum like this haha, i am sure in the time it took you too write its here on the site if you look for it you could have just put the link to your site

Ok
so we all have websites
but
1/ how do YOU get yours known
2/ do you get much business from it

i'm with go daddy and i have bought there seo tool, dont know how well it works yet though website has been submitted to google still to see were it ranks, although im not expecting it too rank too hing as it is unfinished and doesnt have alot of content.

Ok
so we all have websites
but
1/ how do YOU get yours known
2/ do you get much business from it

To answer the second part first, of the last 20 customers, 7 found me by doing an internet search. This is a fairly typical rate at present. So, for me, having a decent website is important.

Firstly, I'll admit that my website, Andrew Neish, Electrician and Handyman isn't very stylish, but that doesn't seem to matter much (although it's nice to have).

Get the content right. Say what you need to say, without too much waffle. People want to know whether they can trust you to do a good job at a reasonable price. Often, customers will prefer to use someone local, rather than a national firm.

Say who you are. I'm a one man band, aiming to make a decent living by serving the local community, so I make it clear who I am, where I live, and how to get in touch (including a landline number). It's clear that if they have a problem with a job, I'll be around to put it right and they know where to find me, which makes it more likely that I'll do a good job in the first place.

Say what areas you cover. List the towns and villages and the postcodes. If someone's searching for an 'electrician in Liphook' or 'electrical contractor in GU30' then make sure that the relevant words are there, in close proximity on the page. I recently added 'electrical contractor' when I realised that I didn't have those words anywhere.

Say what sort of work you do.

If possible put an indication of your rates. You don't even want enquiries from customers who won't pay the rate you're looking for and it helps if enquirers already know how much you're likely to charge.

Get the spelling, punctuation and sentence structure right. If someone finds your website and it's full of errors, it doesn't look very professional and may be a reflection on your attention to detail. They may choose to look elsewhere.

Get as many relevant links to your site as possible. Get a free listing with the various companies that offer this: 192.com, electrician near me, FreeIndex, My Local Electrician, Netmums, Scoot, Thompson Local, Yell. The most useful one is a listing on Google Places.

Put your website address in your signature on the forums.

I get some work via a local community website. People ask for recommendations for tradesmen and I have several with a link to my website. I keep an eye on the website in case someone wants an electrician. Sometimes I'll offer a bit of advice, which looks better than 'recommending' yourself. If a customer has found me via the community website, I'll ask them to add an entry to the relevant thread, mentioning that I did a good job for them.

I have some thoughts of adding a Facebook page, but it will need regular entries to keep it fresh, so I've not bothered yet.

So, without spending anything on professional SEO, my website is on page one of Google for the search terms relevant to my business.

If you're checking how well your site does on a Google search, click on the 'Hide private results' button (top RH corner) to remove the tendency for it to show results that you've clicked on before (as far as I know).

Handysparks - like the website and like the work. The website may not look as flashy as some, but to be honest I think a lot of people will prefer that. Big flashy websites scream 'corporate' and 'loads of money' rather than honest sole trader, etc.

Thought the black museum was going to be some sort of racist thing. Ha ha. Only kidding. Daz

Reply to Show us your website! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net