Discuss Show us your website! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I see what you mean about the orange and blue, its slightly "trippy"...maybe white text instead of orange?

Funny you should say that. I've been playing around with tweeking the saturation of the blues and oranges and decided that orange lettering on blue just isn't going to work; not enough contrast and an odd effect on the eyes. Came to the same conclusion that white looks better.

I've lightened the main block of blue slightly and darkened the blue lettering in the side menu.

Its much better already, especially without the grey.:punk:
I'd consider sticking your name below the neish graphic in slightly bigger text, electrician and handyman below that in the same size its currently in
About the same level but centered...your phone number in much bigger letters...
Or
phone number in big letters below the neish graphic
and your name and trades on the right below the elecsa graphic
Getting there mate...just keep fiddling around with it...

Thanks, I'll have a try with this. There's the compromise between making the header prominent enough, but not taking up too much space, forcing the reader to scroll down for the content on the rest of the page.

There are another couple of issues to consider: how does the page print (although you wouldn't expect many to do this), and how does it work on a small screen (phones and other mobile devices). I generally try to make a website 'flow' properly if the window is squeezed down, rather than making everything fixed width. Also maybe worth putting the important stuff on the LH side where it's most likely to be visible without scrolling sideways.

Going on from not being VAT registered.
Does anyone else avoid being registered, I can see its a little bit of agro but any decent book keeper sorts it out as they go, I personally don't see the point in not registering

VAT registration has pros:

It can, to some customers make you appear more professional/established.
Makes major purchases significantly cheaper (van, plant etc).
If you do your own bookkeeping (as I do), it ensures you keep on top of it at least every 3 months including bank reconciliation (ensures no lost receipts).
You are cheaper to VAT registered customers.

and cons:

You are more expensive to non VAT registered customers.
You have extra paperwork (though not difficult).

VAT registration has pros:

It can, to some customers make you appear more professional/established.
Makes major purchases significantly cheaper (van, plant etc).
If you do your own bookkeeping (as I do), it ensures you keep on top of it at least every 3 months including bank reconciliation (ensures no lost receipts).
You are cheaper to VAT registered customers.

and cons:

You are more expensive to non VAT registered customers.
You have extra paperwork (though not difficult).

great information hawk, but I'm just little confused. I though as sole trader/small ltd all tools (still depends how much tax we pay)we could claim as capital allowance, and phone bill, fuel, van insurance, travlling mileage etc. claim as business expenses. So now I'm confusing about this VAT, don't know if I'm right, is that mean we can claim VAT when we exceeding our capital allowance? Other word, before exceeding the allowrence we could claim in full? Hope this make sense.

great information hawk, but I'm just little confused. I though as sole trader/small ltd all tools (still depends how much tax we pay)we could claim as capital allowance, and phone bill, fuel, van insurance, travlling mileage etc. claim as business expenses. So now I'm confusing about this VAT, don't know if I'm right, is that mean we can claim VAT when we exceeding our capital allowance? Other word, before exceeding the allowrence we could claim in full? Hope this make sense.

The capital allowance as with other end year stuff applies to your net income/expenses, the VAT element is not applied to your tax return directly - though your profits will be up slightly if you are registered as expenses are costing you only net, not gross

The capital allowance as with other end year stuff applies to your net income/expenses, the VAT element is not applied to your tax return directly - though your profits will be up slightly if you are registered as expenses are costing you only net, not gross

Sorry may not have fully understood your question - You claim back full VAT at the date/quarter of purchase - irrespective of capital 'carry over' allowances.

Hope that's clearer

Suggest you consult an accountant. Using forum information for HMRC stuff isn't recommended.

I had a look last night with my phone (Android 4.0, default browser) it renders ok, apart from the side bar that floats (stays on the left side of the screeen) meaning if you drag the page over, the side bar ends up on top of the page text

I had a look last night with my phone (Android 4.0, default browser) it renders ok, apart from the side bar that floats (stays on the left side of the screeen) meaning if you drag the page over, the side bar ends up on top of the page text

Yes, I've used the same floating side bar on another site; I like the fact that the navigation menu is always there, even if you scroll down. It works well on a large screen, but I've had the odd adverse comment from some smartphone users, particularly iPhones.

Does look a better though mate, much more consistent and "clean" looking.
Mrs had a look at your carpentry page nice photos, but could do with some description as to whats going on in the photos for those not carpentry minded, along with a cost estimate to do something similar for another customer.

Inphase Electrical Services

yeah i should have some co.uk or .com but was not available, anyway got some side projects and .org may come handy one day.

site done diy with a pixie cms web management package. it works.
saves me messing up manually with html and css.

hosting costs less than £20 a year far away in Eastern Europe ;-) (xon.pl)

Reply to Show us your website! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net